Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Ariens two stage snow blower handling thoughts

MA

02-09-16, 10:46 AM   #1  
Ariens two stage snow blower handling thoughts

I have a new Ariens two stage snow blower that seems "bouncy,and steers left/right when going on a straight line. The only other info I can supply, is that this machine has the tight turns feature.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

OH

02-09-16, 11:27 AM   #2  
Found this on another forum, perhaps it explains what you are feeling:

I have the 2013 Platinum 30 with ATC, and I find that I am always struggling to keep it running straight. It's a workout let me tell ya !! Now, I am in no way disputing Brian McSouthJersey's impressions of the ATC, because that's what you're going to find when reading about the ATC feature. It appears to work extremely well for some, while others like me don't like it. I personally prefer the deluxe model which uses the trigger. That being said, I am thinking that my driveway may have something to do with the function of the ATC. I have a lot of dips and such. When one side of the bucket dips, the cutting bar catches in the driveway, and the ATC frees up one wheel because it thinks I want to turn. I am ordering the bigger skid shoes from snowblowerskids.com to see if that helps improve the situation any. I have used it on my neighbors driveway a couple of times and it seems to work a bit better there. His driveway is a little more flat than mine.

(Source: SnowblowerForum.com)

MA

02-09-16, 11:58 AM   #3  
Thanks for your reply.

I'll check that out.

MA

02-12-16, 03:27 PM   #4  
Just a update to the problem: Raised the bucket, and lowered the skids some more.
I think the machine was bottoming out on these irregular surfaces.

Forum Topic Moderator

OH

02-12-16, 03:48 PM   #5  
Good deal! That's an interesting technology. My blower has the "power steering" with a separate clutch for each side and that is a big improvement over the old system. But this seems even cooler if works well.

Paul

Inside every small project is a big project waiting to slug you over the head and take all your money and time....

NY

02-12-16, 05:22 PM   #6  
If it's Ariens, it's junk!

OK that was uncalled for on my part. But I talk from experience. All I've ever owned is Ariens, and if and when I buy another it won't be Ariens. Pre 1980's they were the bench mark of snow throwers. But since then they are cheap and no better than the K-Mart / Walmart brand.

I wish you the best, but I suspect you paid for a name vs better quality. Those new features are great but they will malfunction quicker than on a machine built by John Deer or Cub Cadet.

At my age I won't spend the $ on JD or CC but will buy the cheapest thing Lowes has to offer, knowing I'll get as good (or bad) as an Ariens. But then I'm not looking for longevity now days.

Search this Thread