Husqvarna YTH20K46 Yard/Garden Tractor

Old 02-14-16, 02:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Husqvarna YTH20K46 Yard/Garden Tractor

I picked up this mower at an estate sale yesterday. The neighbor said the mower had been sitting for "quite a while" back there under the shed. Not knowing if it would run or even if the motor or tranny was any good or not, we haggled over the price. After the lady from the estate sale went back inside, I pulled the oil dip stick & the oil literally ran off the stick. It had gas in the oil. I called a couple of people & told them the mower was in very, very good condition & didn't seem like it had been used hardly at all & asked for 2nd opinions on what the problem was. Everyone agreed that it likely needed a carburetor overhaul. So, the lady & I agreed on a price & I bought it, not knowing if anything else was wrong with it.

What I have is a Husqvarna YTH20K46 with a single cylinder 20 HP Kohler engine.
Mower Serial number 100107B001297

So, I went & got a trailer & brought the mower home. This morning, I drained all the oil, checked the plug & it was a new plug in it. Air filters were good, not new but good. So, I went to the store & bought 4 qts of 30 wt oil & a oil filter. I hooked the jumper cables to my truck for about an hr, went out & used a drinking straw to get some gas & drop in the carburetor. Again, its mounted sideways so I cant get much in there at a time. I put the straw full of gas in the carb, hit the key & with a few turns, it started! It smoked a bit but that could be from sitting so long. So, I put more gas in with the straw & hit the key & it started. It smoked some but not as much that time.

So after all that, my question. Would you try to put a small amount like a cup full of gas in the tank & try running it? Since gas was in the oil, I wonder if it was due to it sitting so long (maybe a year, maybe 5 years, I don't know), & all the gas just leaked over time or if the carb is likely so bad that it will run into the oil about as fast as the engine.

Do you agree that the carb needs a rebuild (or just by a new one) OR is there something else that you would try knowing the history of this mower before going further with a carb rebuild etc?
Just FYI, it takes 2 qts of oil with a filter change. Since I didn't even know if the engine would even turn over or not, I just bought cheap oil & filter just in case the engine was totally bad. So, with this info, would you try putting a cup full of gas in the tank & try it to see if it would run, smoke or just what the facts are, knowing that if gas did get in the oil, there was minimal cost ($3.80 filter & 2 qts of cheap oil) to change oil & filter again. I'm talking about just running this thing for 15 - 30 seconds, shut it off & check the oil. Run another 15 - 30 seconds... etc, until I have an answer of yes or no that gas is or aint getting in the oil.

Oh, one other question, would you ever use a small amount... small amount... starter fluid on this engine?

Any advice?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-16, 02:23 PM
For what you have there, the gas leaking through the carb needs to be stopped. It may just need cleaning without rebuilding or replacing. I would pull the bowl off the carb, take off the float and float valve, clean it up with carb cleaner and see if a little pressure up on the float will stop the flow of gas.

If it does, change the oil (don't run it until you do) and make sure you put in the right amount. It won't take four quarts. Then with new gas start it and run it for half an hour, then keep a check on the oil for burning, level, and the gas leakage. If you don't have a resurfacing of the problem after an hour of running then sitting over night, you're likely in good shape.

I avoid using starter fluid since it's more volatile than gasoline and harder on head gaskets to my way of thinking. Others use it more freely.

Old 02-14-16, 02:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Are you familiar with this specific carb? Do you know how it comes apart? This carb has a bottom piece that is like the bowl but on the bottom of that, it has a little hangy down thingy that a red wire goes to. There is a green wire the bolts onto the side of the carb.

Let me say, I am nooooo carb person. I know less than zero about a carb. It looks like this is a two piece thing. The carb where the butterfly thingy's are & a bowl. It looks like its two piece but I tried wiggling it & twisting it a bit to see how it comes apart. Noting gives so, here I am. I should say that this whole thing is metal (aluminum, etc) There is no "glass bowl or bulb like on our old 54 ford tractor.

Name:  20160214_163500_resized.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  39.2 KB

Old 02-14-16, 05:05 PM
The green wire is a ground. The red wire energizes the solenoid on the bottom of the carb. The nut on the bottom of the bowl takes off the solenoid and the bowl. With the bowl off you'll see the float and the little float valve it moves up and down to cut off/allow fuel flow to the bowl.

Take a picture of all the linkages and springs that attach to the carb. Helps a lot getting it back together.

On your tractor that's a sediment bulb and not a part of the carb. On this machine the bowl is a float bowl for the carb.

Old 02-14-16, 05:13 PM
That is a anti backfire on the bottom of the carb.

If you had gas in the oil then the seat is leaking. Maybe a good cleaning might fix it. If not get a kit and rekit it. Do you have a on/off inline on your fuel line ??

Old 02-14-16, 05:31 PM
Here is a link that should help you. What part of La. you from ?

https://youtu.be/5JOgUxBU3MQ

Old 02-14-16, 05:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
marboj, I appreciate your help. I went on youtube & watched a video on rebuilding this carb. Once I was able to see how to take it apart, I did & cleaned it up with a wire brush, carb cleaner & blew it out good with an air compressor. I was able to save both the end gaskets but the "o"ring for the bowl was dry rotted & stuck, so it came apart. I had to get that off with the wire brush. Obviously, I couldnt get a rebuild kit for it today but I was anxious to see if the tractor was going to run & if the mower would work etc. So, I put it all back together, tightened the bowl down good (without an o ring) & put it back on the tractor. I put a cup full of gas in the tank & a straw full of gas in the carb & it started right up. No problems. It ran out of gas pretty quick so I checked the oil & there was no sign or smell of gas in teh oil. I did this about 3 more times & still didnt have any indication of gas in the oil. So, I put enough gas in the tank to run it around to see if the tranny etc would work ok. I started the mower deck & mowed a couple of rounds in the yard. All seems to be good.
During my short test, I only seen two drops of gas come from the bowl. I will pick up a rebuild kit Tuesday after work & go back through the carb with all new parts & the o ring.

Thanks for your help & in case someone else needs this thread, here is the youtube link to rebuild the carb. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xulQYf2HTf4

Old 02-14-16, 05:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Boudreaux, I am in Monroe. as far as I know, there is no on/off. The only thing I seen in teh line was an in-line clear fuel filter. Thanks Boudreaux

Old 02-14-16, 06:48 PM
I would put one in line then when you finish mowing turn it off. If your seat still leaks after cleaning the carb it won't leak inside the crankcase. It wont leak while it is running but after you shut the engine off it will.

I had some friends up in Rayville and waverly. A friend of mine owned the Tiger Truckstop there.

I am way south of you almost to Crowley !!!

Old 02-15-16, 04:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You can test the carb for leaking by without running or completely mounting it. Do your cleaning/kit etc. and re-assemble the carb. Install the carb on the mounting studs but away from the intake and connect the fuel supply. Give it a few hours or overnight and see if you get any gas in the throat. The fuel level in the bowl should not get high enough to leak from the bowl gasket either. If it stays dry install and go with it.
An inline on/off valve is a good idea especially when storing, but it is NOT a fix.

I do often use starting fluid on about every thing but ONLY, a quick short burst to see if it will fire which tells me it has spark and some combustion. Any further testing or running I continue with regular gas.

Old 02-15-16, 04:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Thank you guys..........

Search this Thread