Missing spark arrestor

Old 02-27-16, 07:25 PM
Missing spark arrestor

So I have an echo srm-225 weed trimmer. I have had the trimmer about 4 yrs. In the last 2 years I have been having a hard time getting it started. I have to pull the cord multiple times. I get it started and I have to let it warm up to run normal and at open throttle. I will use it for about 20 min. or so, and then put it down to do the mowing. I come back to start the trimmer and have to pull the cord AGAIN multiple times to start it. Notice, I had already started and used it for 20-25 min. It was already warm.
I have rebuilt and cleaned the carb, replaces spark plug, fuel lines, air filter and it continues to behave like I described.
Recently, I saw on YouTube people cleaning the spark arrestor on their trimmers and thought that might be a good idea to do since I have never done that. I went to take the trimmer apart to check the spark arrestor screen and found NO screen. Is that normal? I've never touched that before. Do I need to buy one and install it? What should I do?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-16, 08:37 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

I moved your thread to the small engine forum where you will be well taken care of.

Old 02-28-16, 12:26 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Not all trimmers have them and it won't affect operation if it doesn't have it when it's supposed to.

It sounds like you may have low compression and/or carburetor problems. If the compression seems normal, I'd look into a new carb. Running it lean will ruin the engine in time.

Old 02-29-16, 10:12 PM
About the starting issues?

Thank u for the quick response. I will most likely invest in a new carb, however what do u think is causing the trimmer to take multiple pulls to start and after it has already been started and warmed up short period of time before ( 15-20 minute range) like I mentioned in the previous post?