Weed Eater - Hard Starting

Old 04-12-01, 04:24 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I have an Echo Weed Eater (GT-2000) that I've replaced the plug and cleaned the air filter, but it is still difficult to start. Must pull and pull on it to start. Also, when started, it has loses power at full throttle.

Any ideas??

Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-01, 09:24 PM
Admin Emeritus
Hello t582041

Hope you elect to revisit this forum, as I do not reply to personal emails.

Based on the engine problem discription you discribed, the carb is partially gummed up or the carb has the incorrect fuel mixture adjustments.

Try enrichening the low fuel mixture by turning the fuel mixture screw out about 1/4 turn and go from there. The low speed screw will be the one with the letter "L" near it on the body of the carb.

Check the archives, within this forum, for information on the topic of hard starting and non starting small engines.

Web Site Admin, Moderator Hiring Agent, Host and Forums Manager. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics and Repair Technician. Fast, Fair, Friendly and Highly Proficient...

Don't Take Freedom For Granted. Thank A Veteran. Need an Employee? Hire a Veteran

Not only is a mind a terrible thing to waste, it's like a parachute.

It doesn't function until it's OPEN.........

Elvis. "The Sun Never Sets On A Legend."

Gun safety is using BOTH hands!

Driving Safety Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 05-07-04 at 09:34 PM.
Old 04-13-01, 10:46 AM
Visiting Guest
Tom,

Thanks for your reply in regards to my weed eater not starting. The carb has never been adjusted or had any work done to it. I will try adjusting it. How can I get gum out of the carb? I'm kinda handy, but haven't taken apart any small engines like this. Is this something one can do himself, or should I take it to a professional?

Old 04-14-01, 05:32 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: T.Krzemecki

Glad to know you stopped back into the forum to check for my reply, since I do not reply to a personal email address. Doing so would not benefit all the others whom may have the same engine problem and be checking the archives for ways to correct the same small engine problem.

There are several methods to clearout minor gum and vanish residue forming within the carb. But first <for the benefit of anyone reading this posting reply> understand that the residue formation is a common condition due to the fuel and oil mixture. Also due to time and age of the mixture and moisture forming in the tank from temperature changes.

To attempt to cleanout the carb. try auto carb cleaner. Add it to the fuel as instructed on the spray can. It can also be added to the fuel tank by spraying it directly into the fuel tank. The amount isn't critical. Just spray it into the tank about that much or so.

Now remove the air filter, dowse the air intake and clean the outside area. Be sure to wear eye and hand protection and use other safety precautions. Doing the cleaning in this fashion may correct the problem.

If not, check within the forum archives for carb removal, rebuilding instructions, hints and other tips needed prior to and during repairs. I have posted several to others which pertain to this carb topic.

Web Site Admin, Moderator Hiring Agent, Host and Forums Manager. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics and Repair Technician. Fast, Fair, Friendly and Highly Proficient...

Don't Take Freedom For Granted. Thank A Veteran. Need an Employee? Hire a Veteran

Not only is a mind a terrible thing to waste, it's like a parachute.

It doesn't function until it's OPEN.........

Elvis. "The Sun Never Sets On A Legend."

Gun safety is using BOTH hands!

Driving Safety Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 05-07-04 at 09:34 PM.

Search this Thread