Snapper 42" cut rear engine rider questions

Old 03-28-16, 10:33 AM
Snapper 42" cut rear engine rider questions

I'm considering buying so i have no engine or serial #'s. Not to be confused with the Snapper 42 Z turns. I read or been told that the Snapper 42 inch cut rear engine riders have 3 sets of blades? True or false ? I've also been told these are a break down waiting to happen. One guy said you can't keep the deck pulley's aligned and they wear out belts like crazy. And to run not walk away. Input from previous owners and mower techs welcome. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-16, 11:18 AM
Group Moderator
No model number either ?

When I question something I want to buy I look for online complaints about the model.

Old 03-28-16, 06:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Snapper rear engine riders are darned near bullet proof. The only 42" rear engine models I've ever seen have had 2 blades, not 3. I've heard the old 3 blade ones were problematic but I can't say because I haven't ever encountered one (which is funny because I live here in GA where the old factory used to be) and I'm not sure if they put that deck on a rear engine rider or not. I've known them to last 20 years and more with heavy use. The most problematic place on them is probaby the rear-end axle boots. They are rubber or plastic boots that cover the axles underneath and have pleats in them like an accordian. They break and fall apart, letting dirt into the chaincase and making it hard to shift. This can be seen from the underside. If they are brokem keep that in mind when negotiating a price. They aren't that hard or expensive to replace but it does take a lot of time for someone who has never done it before as the rear end has to come out partially.

Last edited by cheese; 03-29-16 at 12:21 AM.
Old 03-28-16, 08:29 PM
When I was a kid growing up in South Louisiana I saw a lot of commercials on our 2 TV stations and Snapper mowers were the most seen.

My friends dad owned the local Snapper dealership in our small town. When I grew up to an adult I bought a Snapper rider cause they were the Snit and best mowers back then and they turned hard almost on a dime and gave you some change back.

Snapperize your Lawn my friend and you won't be disappointed.

The only thing that goes wrong on those things are the rubber wheel that rubs on the plate and like Cheese said the rubber boots. And that is a 4 or 5 year thing at the least.

BUY IT ~!~!~!

Old 03-28-16, 09:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I have only good things to say about the RER Snappers I have seen. Although those are the older 36" cut single blades, under 11HP. To quote cheese "Bullet Proof" IMO.
Don't know about any new stuff however, I have seen riding mowers now at Walmart with the Snapper name....I would take a long hard look....

Old 03-29-16, 08:23 AM
Thanks to everyone for their input. I know Snapper rear engine models pretty well. I've ran them for some 40 years. I've had every model but the 42. I just want one because I've never had one. I've looked for complaints for this model on the net. Haven't found anything so far. Good or bad. One of the local lawn mower jocks says the decks are a piece of crap. But that's just one mans opinion. That's why I looked for feedback here. Sorry, don't know the model # for these. They do pop up on Criagslist from time to time. Most look ready for the scrap yard. And the nicer ones are usually a 100 or more miles away.

That said. Would still like to get input from those who've owned this series, (42 inch cut Rear Engine Rider.) be it good or bad.

Thanks.

Old 04-04-16, 12:42 PM
The 42" deck models are scarce. I have seen two on the NW GA c-list. One was in excellent condition, and sold quickly. The other relatively beat-up, and it did not sell so well.
I think there were two models, the second being the better of the two. I think it has the two-blade deck, while the earlier might have had three smaller blades.
The difference from the single blade, up to 33" decks and the multi-blade 42" decks is the drive mechanism for the blades. The single has one belt and one pulley connecting the drive PTO, and the 42" has another belt and pulleys to drive the two spindles in addition to the PTO-driven pulley belt.

Search this Thread