Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Breather Hose coming off on Briggs

NJ

04-12-16, 10:49 AM   #1  
Breather Hose coming off on Briggs

I have a Craftsman DLS 3500 tractor in the shop. The breather hose keeps coming off at the carburetor throwing oil all over. The engine is a Briggs 31P977-1066-E1. I planned to put a hose clamp around the hose however I thought I would check here to see if anyone else has encountered this. What do you think could be causing it to come off.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

OH

04-12-16, 12:19 PM   #2  
I'd suspect high crankcase pressure due to failed head gasket or bad rings. You could check the breather valve, but it's really just a check valve so I wouldn't expect failure to blow the hose off.

Paul

Inside every small project is a big project waiting to slug you over the head and take all your money and time....

NJ

04-12-16, 12:27 PM   #3  
This is the engine that was serviced by Sears and the Technician somehow dropped a tiny ball bearing that ended up in the cylinder. It tore up the combustion chamber and top of the piston. I smoothed it up and put a new head gasket. Right after the repair, the hose blew off the carb. I figured I had just forgot to connect it. This being the second time, I need to find out why this is happening. A compression test yielded 70 PSI. Here is the original post http://www.doityourself.com/forum/ou...ed-advice.html

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

04-12-16, 03:28 PM   #4  
Check your oil level, make sure it is not overfull.

Just needs a bigger hammer
Peace

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-12-16, 05:16 PM   #5  
If the oil level is correct and the oil isn't thinned by gas and the engine is not running faster than it should, then you have gasses leaking past either the piston and/or the head gasket. If the bearing caused damage to the piston, it could have made the rings stick, but these engines are prone to head gasket failures. Did you check to see if the head was not warped?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

04-12-16, 05:38 PM   #6  
I actually would check the oil because as much time as was spent trying to start it, I wonder how much fuel prime it was given when it wouldn't start.....btdt

Recently had a generac generator, guy still had it on the truck said it was leaking gas out of the carb. I pulled the dipstick and gassy oil ran out of the oil fill

Just needs a bigger hammer
Peace

NJ

05-13-16, 12:44 PM   #7  
I thought I would provide a followup to this issue. I put a small hose clamp around the tube at the carburetor. It is working fine. I cleaned the manifold boss where it mounts real good. I think that when the hose came off the first time, blown oil got on the boss and the that is why the hose would not stay on. I cut grass with it this morning for over a half an hour and it seem fine -- no smoke, oil etc.

Forum Topic Moderator

OH

05-13-16, 12:46 PM   #8  
Thanks for the update, hope it keeps working for you!

Paul

Inside every small project is a big project waiting to slug you over the head and take all your money and time....

Search this Thread