Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Stihl FS45 weed trimmer

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

04-15-16, 04:37 PM   #1  
Stihl FS45 weed trimmer

I had to give up on one due to the cost of diagnosing/fixing was getting to close or more than a new one.

It will become a winter project just to satisfy my curiosity and perhaps learn me a thing or two.

When I got to it I could not get fuel to prime through the bulb. Checked all the fuel lines and filter..all checked ok. New carb, would prime, but same result, not even a burp let alone a bark even with starting fluid in the cylinder or the carb.

Compression is 120 psi. Even went so far as to check the flywheel key. It has good spark even under compression. Tried mixture settings all the way from 3/4 to 2 turns out in steps.

Not even one bark.....

My counter part Mech also went through his motions and had the same luck as I did so....looking for ideas.

Just needs a bigger hammer
Peace

Sponsored Links

GA

04-15-16, 05:49 PM   #2  
Tried another spark plug? Spark arrestor been checked?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-15-16, 05:55 PM   #3  
Spark arrestor was a thought of mine too. If it has an NGK plug that would be one of the first things swapped to eliminate that possibility.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

04-15-16, 06:13 PM   #4  
Forgot to mention the spark arrestor, with it cleaned and removed same result.

Pretty sure we got a Champion plug, tried a couple but no NGK.

Peace

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-15-16, 09:10 PM   #5  
Try with the exhaust completely off, the throttle wide open, and a dribble of gas into the cylinder. If it doesn't try to start then, it's either flooded or has a timing issue.

God bless!

MO

04-16-16, 12:34 PM   #6  
Get a new spark plug, NGK BPMR7A. I have a FS-46 that acted the same way. Have a good one. Geo

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

04-17-16, 07:32 AM   #7  
It had a bosh in it originally, also tried champion, ngk and oregon plugs, all test good with inline tester but no go with any.
My partner in crime did have it at one point spitting fuel out the exhaust...??? Will try removing the muffler, then dig further into the timing issue which is the only thing the two of us could figure must be the problem.

Peace

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-17-16, 05:21 PM   #8  
If the crankcase is soaked it may be flooding the whole time. Try blowing it out with compressed air into the plug hole while you crank the engine slowly. Then try to start it with a few pulls and the throttle wide open. If still no pops or promises, disconnect the fuel lines from the carb and try again with the throttle open several times until it starts or you become convinced it won't . I had one just a few days ago that did this to me, it was a FS74. It didn't really look flooded but it would not start with the fuel lines connected.

God bless!

LA

04-18-16, 03:35 PM   #9  
I got a Troy Bilt weedeater last week and did not want to pop at all I took the crank cover off and it had water in it. No scoring on piston or cylinder. I had a carb to put on it. After cleaning the crank case and re assembly it ran great.

The bottom shaft was junk so I put a husky shaft and line head on it. Now I can't sell it cause my wife claimed it ~!~!

Search this Thread