Echo GT 225 weed wacker-three plastic blades

Old 04-18-16, 03:46 PM
Echo GT 225 weed wacker-three plastic blades

On the Echo cutting head that has the three plastic blades - how well does that work vs a string trimmer? Do they last very long or do they have to be replaced every couple weeks.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-16, 04:05 PM
Group Moderator
Meh. I had those at one time. I believe they're sold as ceramic cutting blades.
I never broke one and they didn't dull but I liked the string better.

Old 04-18-16, 04:09 PM
Group Moderator
You really have to consider how you use your trimmer. The blades can be more durable than string/line but they are much harder on things you trim around like trees and fence posts. How long they last depend on what your trimming. I would only use the plastic blades in an open area where you are taking out heavy weeds. I consider the plastic blades a step between plastic line and a proper saw blade for brush.

I like Shakespeare Ugly Line (odd, since I really like the bright yellow color). It's more durable than other lines I've tried. With another major brand line I would use about a spool of line for each tank of fuel when trimming heavy weeds and light brush. Now I go two or three tanks with the Ugly Line. In normal household grass trimming I get much, much more. One thing I've learned with Ugly line is that it doesn't chew down at the tip like other lines. But it does eventually break where it meets the metal guides in the trimmer head. So, occasionally I bump the head even though the line length is still good. Before adopting that method I'd get a lot of use out of the line but when it broke it broke right at the head requiring me to take it apart and re-thread.

Old 04-18-16, 04:13 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I have used nylon blades in the past, similar to these.

It depends on what you put them on and what you are cutting. Just had a customer ask about blades for a 25cc murray, and this is what I suggested, nothing heavier on that light weight. They do a better job in heavier grass or weeds, but not as good as string for finer or lighter trimming and edging.

Old 04-18-16, 04:15 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Pilot !

Old 04-18-16, 04:28 PM
Thanks for the informative replies. I have the double string head that uses individual short lengths which works well to cut but you have to keep changing them. All my other trimmers have the bump heads.

I saw this head with the three plastic blades and wondered how it would hold up and cut. I don't do much heavy cutting, just lawn grass.

Appreciate it.