14.5 HP Briggs smoking profusely under load

Old 04-29-16, 04:45 AM
14.5 HP Briggs smoking profusely under load

Hello all, new here on DIY...but been reading old posts for a year or so now. I have a IC series Briggs 14.5 HP that smokes like a fog machine every so often. I have pulled the carb and rebuilt it, replaced the crankcase breather(pcv valve), changed the engine oil and filled to proper level. I mowed with it about 10 minutes and it started blowing white with a slight tinge of blue smoke out of the exhaust.
I pulled back into the garage and pulled the pcv breather rubber tube off the carb, started the mower, engaged the blades and oil started coming out the tube. I plugged the hole in the tube, did the same thing and oil started coming out in droves everywhere it could.
Could this be a ring, piston, valve, and/or a head gasket issue? Or is it one of those type of projects that I will have to tear it down to find the root cause?
Thanks so much, I appreciate any insight you may have....

Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-16, 05:20 AM
Group Moderator
Yes, it could be a ring, piston or head gasket issue. I doubt it's a valve issue but the valve guides could be worn. I would investigate the head gasket first since it's easy to change compared to a piston & rings.

Old 04-29-16, 05:32 AM
Okay great, thanks for the insight....I appreciate it!

Old 04-29-16, 10:47 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Those engines have problems with the head gasket blowing and causing this. If it runs fine for a while, then billows smoke, then it's okay again for a short while, then repeat... then it's likely the head gasket. It blows in the thin spot between the pushrod chamber and the cylinder.

Old 04-29-16, 03:54 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Is the oil level over full?

Old 04-29-16, 10:09 PM
replaced the crankcase breather(pcv valve), changed the engine oil and filled to proper level.

Good thought but I think he did that already.

Old 04-29-16, 10:15 PM
If that is an OHV engine I agree with Cheese 100 percent ~!~!

Those are blowing gaskets in that weak spot cause there is no bolt in there too reinforce it ~!~!