Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

14.5 HP Briggs smoking profusely under load

IN

04-29-16, 04:45 AM   #1  
14.5 HP Briggs smoking profusely under load

Hello all, new here on DIY...but been reading old posts for a year or so now. I have a IC series Briggs 14.5 HP that smokes like a fog machine every so often. I have pulled the carb and rebuilt it, replaced the crankcase breather(pcv valve), changed the engine oil and filled to proper level. I mowed with it about 10 minutes and it started blowing white with a slight tinge of blue smoke out of the exhaust.
I pulled back into the garage and pulled the pcv breather rubber tube off the carb, started the mower, engaged the blades and oil started coming out the tube. I plugged the hole in the tube, did the same thing and oil started coming out in droves everywhere it could.
Could this be a ring, piston, valve, and/or a head gasket issue? Or is it one of those type of projects that I will have to tear it down to find the root cause?
Thanks so much, I appreciate any insight you may have....

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NC

04-29-16, 05:20 AM   #2  
Yes, it could be a ring, piston or head gasket issue. I doubt it's a valve issue but the valve guides could be worn. I would investigate the head gasket first since it's easy to change compared to a piston & rings.

IN

04-29-16, 05:32 AM   #3  
Okay great, thanks for the insight....I appreciate it!

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-29-16, 10:47 AM   #4  
Those engines have problems with the head gasket blowing and causing this. If it runs fine for a while, then billows smoke, then it's okay again for a short while, then repeat... then it's likely the head gasket. It blows in the thin spot between the pushrod chamber and the cylinder.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

04-29-16, 03:54 PM   #5  
Is the oil level over full?

Just needs a bigger hammer
Peace

LA

04-29-16, 10:09 PM   #6  
replaced the crankcase breather(pcv valve), changed the engine oil and filled to proper level.

Good thought but I think he did that already.

LA

04-29-16, 10:15 PM   #7  
If that is an OHV engine I agree with Cheese 100 percent ~!~!

Those are blowing gaskets in that weak spot cause there is no bolt in there too reinforce it ~!~!

Search this Thread