Craftsman riding lawnmower will not start

Old 04-29-16, 05:47 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Angry Craftsman riding lawnmower will not start

Hello,
First time poster. I have a riding lawnmower, a Craftsman LT1000 that I bought second hand. All was working fine until I let a neighbor use it and now we have a problem.
When I turn the key it hums but never actually starts up. I checked the battery and took it off and put it on a charger just to be sure. Battery is in the green. I bridged the pegs on the solenoid, hoping to jump start it. No dice, but I did get sparks. I see the volt monitor move when I turn the key, but nothing but that hum. I checked the fuze near the solenoid, but it seems fine. Does not look burnt.

Any ideas? What should I be looking for here? I am at a loss.

Please help, any input appreciated.

-Mike

Old 04-30-16, 09:14 AM
B
Received 293 Upvotes on 260 Posts
Jumper a battery from a car or truck with its engine running. Place the negative jumper cable on the mower engine.

Place the positive jumper cable to the mower positive battery cable. If the mower start switch spins the mower starter, you have a bad battery.

If the mower starter doesn't spin, move the positive jumper cable to the start solenoid input ( other end of mower positive battery cable). Disconnect the negative jumper cable on the mower engine while moving the positive battery cable. If the mower start switch spins the mower starter, you have a bad battery positive cable.

If the mower starter doesn't spin, momentarily move the positive jumper cable to the start solenoid output If the mower starter spins, you have a bad starter soleniod.

If the mower starter doesn't spin, momentarily move the positive jumper cable to the mower starter positive terminal. If the mower starter spins, you have a bad starter .

Hope this helps.

Old 04-30-16, 09:27 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Make sure something is not jamming the blade or blades. Take key out before putting hand near blades.

Old 04-30-16, 11:05 AM
V
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
How did the Neighbor manage to return it to you . . . . push it ?

Or did s/he just drive it up to your garage and shut it off ?

Did any comments (or explanation) accompany the return regarding the machine's performance ?

Last edited by Vermont; 04-30-16 at 12:02 PM.
Old 04-30-16, 01:45 PM
D
Group Moderator
Received 252 Upvotes on 202 Posts
Turn the key to start position & you hear a hum???? Starter is bad.

If its a high pitch noise, the bendix is out or either the little gear on the starter that turns the flywheel is broken.

If for some reason your neighbor took the battery out or took the cables off & cleaned them & replaced them, the cables may have been put back on the wrong posts & the starter is spinning in reverse/backwards. That happened to me once.

Old 05-07-16, 05:34 PM
C
Talking

Hey Gents,
Sorry it took a while. I had a lot of rain over the past week and had to get a dry day to mess with it. beelzebob had it. I checked to make sure nothing was blocking the blades, all good. Then started testing to see if its the battery or the solenoid. Definately battery. I have no idea what my neighbor did to it. The battery was new last summer and I had started the mower up fine just a week prior. Managed to get it started by jumping from car, and using a lil starting fluid.

Vermont, I live in condos that are like english rowhouses. We have attached housing, but no condo assoc. Hence why I'm mowing my own grass. Once it didn't start, he just pushed it over to my deck about 20 ft.

Is it normal to have to use a bit of starting fluid with these older mowers to get them going?

Thanks for all the help guys,
Mike

Old 05-07-16, 07:40 PM
Huh say what ?? please read the last sentence.

If the mower starter doesn't spin, momentarily move the positive jumper cable to the mower starter positive terminal. If the mower starter spins, you have a bad starter .

If you put the cable on the positive side of the starter AND IT TURNS then IT IS GOOD ~!~!

Old 05-08-16, 12:47 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Is it normal to have to use a bit of starting fluid with these older mowers to get them going?
More likely your choke is not closing completely.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: