Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Kawasaki 17 HP

LA

04-30-16, 07:40 PM   #1  
Kawasaki 17 HP

A buddy brought me a EX Mark ZT with the Kawi 17 hp twin. I haven't dwelled on it all that much since we have been under the gun with all this bad weather down here in Louisiana.

He started it and went to give the gas to mow. No response at all from the cable.

I looked at it and the panel seems to works fine. I took the panel off and can get the engine too rev up by moving the gov rod by hand. Gov spring is hooked to the panel.

Any thoughts on this issue my friends ??

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

KS

05-01-16, 07:00 AM   #2  
Should just be able to follow the cable from the throttle control to the governor assy. which simply changes the spring tension from the governor to the throttle valve on the carb.
The clamp point on the cable might be loose letting the outer cable move instead of the inner wire.
If you can change RPM by controlling the gov, then the linkage to the carb should be fine.

Just needs a bigger hammer
Peace

LA

05-02-16, 07:44 PM   #3  
Thanks for the reply BFH

I already checked that when he brought it here.

I took the control panel off.

Every thing seems to be in order. Except that when the engine is running I can't move the throttle easy. It is very hard to move the linkage and nothing is hooked up. The control panel is off all the way.

The linkage is hooked to the gov arm like it should be. I have worked on Kawis before and never known the linkage to be that hard to move by hand ~!~!

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-03-16, 01:45 AM   #4  
So right now you just have the governor arm and the linkage from that arm to the carb, right? Do these move easily with the engine off? But then very hard ot move with the engine running? If so, I'd think someome has messed with the governor arm and got it out of adjustment.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

LA

05-03-16, 11:44 PM   #5  
Yes Cheese the only thing on the engine now is the gov arm and the linkage to the carb. The long skinny spring is wrapped around the rod like it should be.

Yes it moves freely with the engine not running.

When the engine is running I can move the throttle with my fingers, but it is very hard to do so.

The gov and arm are adjusted right though !!

LA

05-03-16, 11:55 PM   #6  
Cheese

Do you think it's a internal gov problem ?

One guy I talked to said maybe so.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-04-16, 01:18 AM   #7  
So it only runs at idle no matter what? I'm not sure I can really picture a way the governor could fail and cause it to stay at idle. Normally if the governor comes apart or has a problem, it just lets it rev up uncontrollably. Is there side play or end play in the carburetor throttle shaft?

God bless!

05-04-16, 08:51 AM   #8  
The control panel mount holes (C in attached photo) are slotted. The further up you move the control panel before tightening the bolts, the more tension you put on the governor spring, thus a faster running engine when the throttle is opened. The governor spring should be in the slotted hole on the arm. As BFH suggested, check the throttle cable to ensure its firmly mounted and moving freely.
Name:  ControlPanel.JPG
Views: 265
Size:  22.8 KBName:  GovSpring.JPG
Views: 666
Size:  22.1 KB

LA

05-04-16, 06:55 PM   #9  
I didn't put every thing back together yet but when I took the panel off everything was right.

No loose cable housing and tried to move the panel up with the slots according to the manual

I have all the Kawasaki manuals. My son in law has all the Kohler manuals on hard copy. I have all the Briggs manuals in my computer. I had all that 25 years ago in a huge book rack when I had my shop in Baton Rouge. Now every thing is on the internet ~!~!

LA

05-04-16, 06:59 PM   #10  
No play in the carb shaft or linkage

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-05-16, 12:49 AM   #11  
I guess that leaves inspecting the actual internal components of the governor then.

God bless!

Search this Thread