Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Tecumseh Engine - Carb Leaking after cleaning

CANADA

05-03-16, 02:09 PM   #1  
Tecumseh Engine - Carb Leaking after cleaning

Hi,

I've recently rebuilt and fully cleaned my carb for my snow blower (tecumseh engine) for the first time. I bought new gaskets, new "seat" (I believe thats what its called - the part that the needle sits in) also got a new needle, not that I needed it but it was part of the kit. I thought I was good until I found a puddle of about a foot of gas on the floor of my shed...

So that puddle happened after I ran it out of gas and pushed it by hand to put it away for the summer. It seems to happen when I prime as well...

I fully learn't how to do this on my own by watching youtube videos and unfortunately don't really have anyone I can call to ask (the small engine shop guy made sure to tell me how he had to pay 20k for his education for something I'm learning on youtube - so not much help from him unfortunately).

Before I take it all apart again, I figured I would try and ask here if anyone has any idea on what I should look at. I was thinking maybe I didn't put the "seat" in correctly? I assume the float pushes up the pin to block that hole when the bowl is full??? If it doesn't block it then it would keep filling right? Any advice?

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NC

05-03-16, 04:27 PM   #2  
It would help if you told us what engine you have or at least provide a couple pictures. Tecumseh makes a lot of engines so knowing the brand only helps a little.

What's confusing is you say the puddle occurred after running the machine out of gas (how can a machine out of fuel leak fuel?). Then you say it happens when you prime. I assume you have gas in the tank when you are priming to start the machine?

In general I think you are on the right track looking at the float valve. If the seat is installed incorrectly or if the needle is worn it cannot seal properly and stop the flow of fuel. Also check the float to make rests at the proper level when the valve is closed (turn the carburetor upside down or gently push up on the float) and make sure the float does not have fuel inside it. It could also be something really simply like a leak at the bolt/gasket holding the bowl in place or the gasket around the top of the bowl.

VA

05-03-16, 04:57 PM   #3  
Remove the bowl and lift up on the float, the fuel should totally shut off.
When you had it apart did you shake the bowl to make sure there's not a leak in it and it's full of fuel?

CANADA

05-03-16, 05:34 PM   #4  
Pilot Dane:
I ran it out of gas but didn't empty the bowl so there was some gas left in there. Once it leaked I added more gas to keep trying and figure out where it was coming from. The bowl gasket and the "bowl holder screw" gasket are both new, so I'm hoping it's not that. I will disassemble it tomorrow to check the needle. Thanks for your help.

joecaption:
I will try what you said tomorrow (lifting the float). I did shake it to check for leaks, luckily I read to do that or else I would be sure that was the issue. Thanks for your help.

Will report tomorrow with my findings.

CANADA

05-05-16, 11:21 AM   #5  
So I took it apart, tested to float like you guys mentioned - it worked as designed. (Stopped dripping gas when pushed up, but leaked when dropped)

I scratched my head for quite some time, then I decided to just put it back together and try it again. Only thing I did different was not put the bolt that holds the bowl too tight. It worked perfectly this time around...

Could it be that my bolt was too tight causing restriction for the float? Seems unlikely to me, but wondering if you guys have any answers in case I get future issues...

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

05-05-16, 11:26 AM   #6  
Sometimes just a speck of dirt or debris can get between the needle and seat, dropping the float low enough and letting some fuel flush out could have cleared what ever it was.

Just needs a bigger hammer
Peace

CANADA

05-06-16, 05:36 AM   #7  
Scratch that, it's still leaking. I placed a yogurt container underneath over night "just in case"... It's half full now.

Seems like it does not leak while running/right after running. But it does leak once the engine cools down...?

Does this make sense to anyone?

I was thinking of pushing in the metal piece that pushes the needle... good idea or bad?

Group Moderator

NC

05-06-16, 08:09 AM   #8  
Yes, it makes sense. The engine is using fuel when it's running so it helps keep the level in the bowl low enough that it doesn't overflow. You may have a needle valve, seat or float problem. It's possible when you pushed up on the float you pushed harder than the float and made it seal but with the float's pressure it still allows a bit of fuel by.

You can install a fuel shutoff valve just ahead of the carburetor in the fuel line. You'll have to remember to open and close the valve when you use the snow blower but it will stop the fuel from leaking out when your not using it. It doesn't fix the problem in the carburetor but it's a pretty reliable work around and makes it easier to work on the carburetor in the future.

IA

05-06-16, 08:41 AM   #9  
When the float shuts off the fuel the top of the float should be parallel to the casting above it.

The bowl also has an orientation to the float with a formed drop in the bowl to align with the drop of the float. Make sure you bowl is rotated to that position.

Forum Topic Moderator

WA

05-06-16, 08:46 AM   #10  
I had the same problem with my 8hp Craftsmen Generator. Same engine I'm thinking. I think the surface where the seat was seated into the carb had corroded after replacing the seat several times. I finally went searching on the internet and bought a new carb. think it was about $25.00. Got really tired of taking the carb off and on.

Mike
Retired Real Estate Broker
Home Remodeler
Do it Yourselfer

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-06-16, 11:07 AM   #11  
Did you make sure the seat was installed right side up? Did you clean the remains of the old seat out before installing the new one? Did you oil the new one going in?

You tube videos are sometimes good, sometimes incorrect, sometimes dangerous, and you see the results.. the carb still leaks. A real education can't be compared.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

CANADA

05-11-16, 03:44 PM   #12  
I did clean the area after taking the old seat out. I did not oil it first before putting the new one in though. I bought a tecumseh tool to pull out the seat without damaging it... should be here in 4 weeks... real handy right now..

The snow blower is MTD:
Model Number 31AE6FHF552
Serial 1K226I40051 000003

The engine is a Tecumseh 4-Cycle Snow King, but I can not for the life of me find the model number. Through the MTD website it gave me a engine manual for the following models:
- HMSK80
- HMSK90
- HMSK100
- HMSK105
- OHSK120

And another manual for:
LH195SA/LH195SP
LH318SA/LH358SA
OH195SA/OH195SP
OH318SA/OH358SA

If someone knows how to figure out which engine is mine please let me know.

Is it worth it for me to wait for the tool to try and redo the seat or should I just buy a new carb at this point? As mentioned in another post its my second carb attempting this year and my second one that didn't go good

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-11-16, 10:24 PM   #13  
Usually if you put a new seat in after cleaning the area well and you are sure the float is good, then the problem will go away. You need to make sure the seat is in right side up and oil it before pushing it in. Putting it in dry can cause it to have tension on the side that pulls it unevenly or keeps it from bottoming out all the way.

God bless!

CANADA

05-12-16, 03:34 PM   #14  
any tricks to removing the seat without damaging? otherwise I'll have to wait for my tecumseh tool to show up (http://i.ebayimg.com/02/!CEFU5rQBmk~$(KGrHqJ,!hgE0fnpVpE0BNQv)h1e7w~~_35.JPG?set_id=880000500F)

Also, where can I find what my actual model# is for my engine? Nothing seems to be written on it that I could find.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-12-16, 03:59 PM   #15  
Not without risk of damage.

God bless!

Search this Thread