Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Repair advice for MTD Yardman deck frame where 3.75hp B&S mounts

PA

05-09-16, 08:39 AM   #1  
Repair advice for MTD Yardman deck frame where 3.75hp B&S mounts

Hi everyone,
Does anyone have a good way to repair the engine mounting area on the push mower deck when cracks start on top where the engine bolts on? I have an old MTD Yardman mower with a 3.75hp B&S engine that runs/starts great and I'd like to repair it to get a few more years of service. Deck frames don't seem to made as well or as thick as they once were and in fact I damaged a Weedeater 500 push mower a couple of years ago, to where the only way I fixed that was to cut-out a mounting 'circle' from a old deck frame and weld it onto the Weedeater deck after cutting out the busted mounting holes.

I've been looking for some kind of flat-steel 'ring' with the opening diameter of the mower's deck opening, where all I would have to do is drill the engine mounting holes to match the frame and then bolting that onto the good-part of the deck - maybe sandwiching in some steel-epoxy. So far though, I've not found anything that matches the 8" opening of the deck.

Thought I'd post here to see if anyone had come up with the right components or a better solution.
Thanks,
greynold99

Sponsored Links

VT

05-09-16, 10:08 AM   #2  
Have any local Welders who could tackle that job permanently . . . . if you just brought in the clean shell?

Last edited by Vermont; 05-09-16 at 11:13 AM.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-09-16, 11:19 AM   #3  
I just weld them back up and fix the vibration. If it's cracking that much, something is probably out of balance or bent, causing a bit more vibration than it can handle.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

LA

05-09-16, 09:18 PM   #4  
I have an older Craftsman self propelled from my neighbor that has the same issue.

I thought about the same thing with a ring with the bolt holes to repair it.

If a machine shop were to stamp some out like that it would be good !!!

It is a common thing to happen ~!~!

Search this Thread