Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Cub Cadet 2130 Won't Crank Could PTO Gone Bad?

OH

05-12-16, 11:30 AM   #1  
Cub Cadet 2130 Won't Crank Could PTO Gone Bad?

Wellsir ... I was cutting my grass when all of a sudden the blades stop turning ... I shut down the engine, then I checked to see if the belt came off they had not. Started the tractor back up, and I tried the PTO again, it came back on and I continued to cut.

Soon after the PTO shut off again. I turned off the tractor to see if the battery cable was loose, the positive was so I tighten it. After I did that the tractor wouldn't crank at all.

I usually hear a clicking sound when the starter doesn't engage right away, but I'm not hearing anything. I pushed and pulled on the PTO to see if it was not turned off, but that didn't help.

I made sure the brake was fully engaged too. Nothing. I used my meter and the battery is showing 12.95 Volts, and the same at the starter. Has the PTO gone bad?

Sponsored Links

OH

05-12-16, 01:55 PM   #2  
Things I've done so far ...

I disconnected the wires hooked up to the PTO and the PTO switch to see if it would crank, it would not.:NO NO NO: I tried to jump the
solenoid by bridging the two screws on it ... no go. I checked the PTO switch with the multimeter it was good.

OH

05-12-16, 06:14 PM   #3  
Problem Solved

Wellsir ... when I discovered the positive connection on the battery was loose causing the PTO to disengage, and I was tightening the bolt on the battery, the wrench hit the metal and caused an arc which blew the fuse! That's why it would not crank.

Fortunately I had some 20 amp fuses, the mower had 25 amp, but I figure the 20 should work and it did. I did a search and found a post where someone had the no crank and a blown fuse was the problem with his mower. Checked the fuse and it was blown.

So I got the old girl again. Thank God it wasn't the PTO!

Thanks for reading my post.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-12-16, 09:57 PM   #4  
Lol, glad you got it fixed. A wrench touching metal from the battery post won't blow the fuse, so there might be some other problem or it might have just been a fluke.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

OH

05-13-16, 08:29 AM   #5  
Hoping on the fluke part :)

I can't think of what else could have cause the fuse to blow. The problem with the no crank started after I tighten the bolt on the positive terminal. It was a pretty good arc ... got me to jump that's for sure.
I was able to cut the grass afterwards with no problem, so perhaps it was a fluke. If not I'm sure I will know after a while.

Thanks for reading my post.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-13-16, 11:18 AM   #6  
Yep. but the current that arced was going through the wrench, not the mower wiring harness and fuse. You can hold a wrench there until the battery blows up or melts down and never harm the fuse. If you have an ohmmeter, you might check across the terminals of your clutch to see if the resistance is very low. The reason I say this is because when a clutch begins shorting internally, it often starts out by causing the PTO switch to go bad because of the increased amperage draw. Fuses start blowing, and after a while it quits working alltogether. It often starts with the random fuse blowing for no apparent reason. Hopefully it was just a fluke too, I've seen several cases where the fuse blew and the clutch was still fine, so who knows. Use it a while and see.

God bless!

OH

05-15-16, 02:24 PM   #7  
How to check it?

Well it is worth checking out. What do I do? Take off the plug leading to the PTO and check for a low ohm reading on the terminals? I take it if the reading is low something is up?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-15-16, 09:32 PM   #8  
Yeah, if it's below 2 ohms it is over-amping and may continue to blow the fuse periodically depending on how low it is, and will probably burn the contacts in the PTO switch eventually if the clutch doesn't fail first.

God bless!

Search this Thread