Low compression on chainsaw. Poulan Pro (pp5020AV)

Old 05-14-16, 09:53 PM
Low compression on chainsaw. Poulan Pro (pp5020AV)

I've had a poulan pro chainsaw for many years and it has always been a nightmare to start. This was my first chainsaw, so I thought this was normal. It would take a lot of pulls to start and then run for a few seconds before shutting off. After about 20 minutes I could start it by sheer force of will. Recently checked the compression - 30 psi. Checked the spark plug - very oil fouled. Disassembled chainsaw - everything looks in order, but I can't find any specs for the piston rings or compression or even torque specs. I'm a newbie so it is hard to me to eyeball a piston ring and see if it is in spec. There was no scoring on the piston or cylinder anyway, that all looked very smooth. Anyhow, reassembled the unit and compression is still 30 psi. Poured a little oil into the cylinder and compression test reading is unchanged. Searspartsdirect sells components for this unit. Wondering if I should get a new piston ring, piston, cylinder or a new chainsaw? Is this a carb thing?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-16, 06:37 AM
If you wanted to put a part in it, put a new carb for about twenty bucks and a new spark plug. That would probably fix everything with good gas/oil and clean air filter. What are you using for the oil?

There isn't likely anything wrong with the compression with everything smooth and no scores. You most likely have a lot more than 30 lbs of compression. More like 130 lbs.

The Poulan Pro has the chrome lined cylinder. I have a number of saws and have used my 260 PP for about fifteen years for light to medium duty cutting. It still has 125 lbs of compression.

Old 05-15-16, 10:44 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you put the saw on the ground and slowly pick it up by the pull rope handle, does the saw come up with it or does the rope pull out?

Old 05-15-16, 10:47 AM
When you are checking compression are you holding the throttle wide open ?

Old 05-15-16, 11:37 AM
Yes. The result is the same if I hold open the throttle or not.

Old 05-15-16, 12:36 PM
If it's starting at all you have 85+ lbs of compression.

Old 05-15-16, 12:40 PM
You're right. Borrowed a compression tester from autozone. Registered 130 psi. I'm off to return this ****ty compression tester from harbor freight. Then I'll try to adjust the carbs which I've already rebuilt and cleaned. Pretty sure it is running too rich.

Old 05-15-16, 01:51 PM
The rope pulls out. Figured out my compression tester was faulty.

Old 05-15-16, 09:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I had a feeling it was faulty which is why I asked about how the rope pulls out.

I would be looking at fuel lines and the carb.