Briggs and Stratton 675 stalls under load

Old 05-16-16, 11:15 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Briggs and Stratton 675 stalls under load

Good afternoon All

I am looking for some advice as to where to start with this. I have a Briggs 675 motor on an old rototiller. It starts up perfect, idles perfect, but as soon as I try to till it stalls.

The gas is fresh, I tried running without the cap incase it was a bad vent, cleaned the plug, and sprayed the carb with cleaned.

The funny part about it is that it stopped working correctly in the middle of a tilling job. This is a fairly new motor, and it has only seen a few hours of use.

I'm a little stumped. I am planning on picking up a carb kid after work tonight, but I don't feel that is really the issue.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Old 05-16-16, 11:38 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
Is the governor linkage still attached?

Old 05-16-16, 11:41 AM
A
Yes it is. If I wiggle it I can get it to pick up RPMs, but it doesn't do it own its own.

Old 05-16-16, 11:54 AM
M
Received 34 Upvotes on 33 Posts
Does the engine pick up rpms as you throttle up?

Old 05-16-16, 12:02 PM
A
It idles fast if I poke at the governor spring, but if I put a load on (ie try to till dirt) it goes sluggish immediately then stalls.

Old 05-17-16, 06:43 AM
A
Anyone have any ideas? I am still waiting to get a carb kit, which I hope to do after work today. I don't believe that is the issue though.

Old 05-17-16, 06:51 AM
A
If it helps, this is the engine I am working on:

190cc Gas Engine | Princess Auto

Old 05-17-16, 07:31 AM
M
You don't have a hand control on the throttle, it kicks itself up automatically responding to load? That being the case it sounds like the governor is a problem. I'll take a look at the IPL for it. May need some more numbers on it.

Old 05-17-16, 08:00 AM
A
There is a hand throttle on the engine, i basically has high low off. Yes, it does respond on its own to the load - or is supposed to. I cleaned out the springs of the governor and that didn't seem to do anything. I don't see any obvious damage to it.

Old 05-17-16, 08:03 AM
M
When you go from low to high do the engine rpms go up when it's working like it should. And now it does or doesn't ramp up the rpms going from low to high.

Old 05-17-16, 08:13 AM
A
Yes they do go up. If it is in neutral it seems to work perfect. Starts first pull, runs pretty smooth. If I put it in gear and hold the tine up it runs fine. The second the tines hit the dirt, even really fine dirt, it wants to stall out.

Old 05-17-16, 11:00 AM
M
It could either be the governor not opening like it should or the carb is plugged or the delivery to the carb is restricted. I believe I would take off the carb bowl. It has a central fixing nut. See if there is any water droplets in the gas in the bowl. Those are as bad as dirt to the running of the engine.

Then work the float up and down to see if there is a free flow of gas coming out of the float valve, then shutting off as the float is raised with light pressure upward. This is assuming no fuel pump and I'm not seeing one on IPL s

Old 05-17-16, 02:31 PM
A
I went through the carb thoroughly with cleaner. I will pickup a new set of gaskets after work and install them. Doesn't look like a ton of adjustment in this carb, it is very basic. No fuel pump. Seems to be filling the bowl freely with fuel.

Any advice how to inspect/adjust the governor?

Old 05-17-16, 05:26 PM
M
That has a little flyweight setup in the governor. I have a feeling if it is a governor issue you would have to dig deeper into the engine than you may want to go. From what you found in the carb, it may very well be that something came apart in the governor. But check the governor arm and the springs that go with it to make sure something didn't come disconnected. That would be an easier fix. Considering the way it stopped I doubt if it's an adjustment.

Some of the regular shop guys may know how to better diagnosis it. We'll see if they jump in with something.

Old 05-17-16, 06:16 PM
A
Springs are all good. Im going to have to find a repair manual. Im in Saskatchewan, and we have a short growing season. If i take it in now to be fixed I wont get it back until the end of summer. Never been stumped this bad on power equipment!

Old 05-18-16, 05:31 AM
V
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
I'm currently dealing with a 10HP B&S Lawnmower Engine that just started stalling out when confronting thick grass this Spring.

It turns out that the "hair-thin" spring on the Throttle Link has broken . . . . this is the spring that is threaded over and surrounds the Throttle Rod, and in the case of this Mower, shares the same hole as the link . . . . which apparently leads to wear and breakage.

I'm replacing the Spring, but I am going to drill tiny holes dedicated to this extremely thin Spring.

I know you said that "Springs are all good" . . . . but this one is so thin, you may have missed it. If it's broken, or disconnected, a "twistum" can provide temporary relief.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: