Echo PB4600 backpack blower won't start

Old 05-17-16, 05:07 PM
Echo PB4600 backpack blower won't start

It seems as though, rather suddenly, my backpack blower won't start. The primer bubble had cracked so I replaced it and now it won't prime. I checked both fuel lines and blew them both out and they seem clear. I tried spraying some starter fluid in it and firing it up and it would start, run for a few seconds, and then stall out. I tried adjusting the idler screws on the carb but nothing worked. I replaced the fuel filter as well but then I noticed this:

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 956
Size:  31.9 KB

Is there supposed to be another small hose attached to that connection? Could that be why it's not priming?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-16, 08:18 PM
Are you sure about that model number? The Echo site does not list a PB model. Look for a parts list.

Old 05-17-16, 08:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The PB-4600 is a common blower, not sure why the site wouldn't show it.

There should be a fuel line with a filter on the end that drops down to the bottom of the tank on the inside part of that tank grommet. I recommend replacing the whole grommet/fuel line assembly. It comes in a kit for $15 or so if I remember right. Any echo dealer or many small engine shops should carry it.

Old 06-09-16, 12:53 PM
I'm really late revisiting this but better late than never.

I replaced the grommet on top of the tank and blew out the fuel lines clean. I also replaced the fuel filter but the problem I'm having is that the primer bubble still won't pull fuel in to prime the engine. This is a bubble that was replaced shortly before I ran into the issue of the blower not working.

The way I've come to understand it, the old bubble rupturing may have been the symptom of a pressure buildup in the system and the rupture was the manifestation of that problem. However, it may still exist so I decided to get a brand new carb, but I'm still waiting on the gaskets from Amazon.

My question is this: Do I need to do any fine tuning on the new carb or can I just swap it out?

At this point, if this doesn't work it's going to have to go into the shop unless someone has another suggestion.

Old 06-09-16, 03:24 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Generally the new carbs I put on need no adjustment.

Old 07-03-16, 02:15 PM
Another quick update, I bought the new carb for about $40 and swapped it out. It works like a charm now and the power levels are better than I ever remember. I also took the opportunity to rebuild the old carb so at least I can learn something about how they're put together and it took about an hour. I soaked it in cleaner and replaced all the gaskets. Just to see if I screwed anything up, I swapped out the rebuild with the new one and it works just as well so now I have a spare if need be.

Thank you all for your help.