Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Possible to install a larger deck?

VA

05-18-16, 08:17 AM   #1  
Possible to install a larger deck?

Now that I appear to have finally got to the bottom of getting my mower starting every time, I am looking at what I can do to it that will make mowing my yard a little easier. The first thing I can think of is can I replace the deck, it currently has a 46" deck on there which I would like to replace with a 54" or possibly a 60" if one were available.

However, I am having a hard time finding something which I know will fit. Likely due to the fact that my tractor is a few years old. Does anyone know first of all if it is possible to upgrade the deck? and secondly of any 54" decks that will fit a White Outdoor GT2150?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-18-16, 11:25 AM   #2  
Not sure what you have on it for an engine but a 54" deck takes some horsepower... is your engine big enough?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

VA

05-18-16, 12:10 PM   #3  
It's a 22hp Tecumseh V-twin, whether that is big enough I do not know. Engine model is OV691EA.

VA

05-18-16, 04:39 PM   #4  
Going to be real lucky to even find a larger deck for a White Mower, fit or not.
Time for a new mower.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

05-18-16, 05:12 PM   #5  
I did some research on your mower, and no where did I see the feasibility of adding a larger deck. The 46" was as large as they went. I'm not sure whether a 22 horsepower gas engine will pull a larger one. I have a 60" steel deck on my 21 HP ZTR, but it is diesel, so there is a difference.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-18-16, 05:48 PM   #6  
I looked at the attachment system and it's a common one that is used on ohter deck sizes as well. There shouldn't be any problem finding decks, it's a MTD and I think I even have a extra deck or two around that will fit it. I don't think they make one bigger than a 50" that will fit though. Not sure if it's worth the hassle and expense for 4 more inches of cut though.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

VA

05-19-16, 06:41 AM   #7  
Posted By: joecaption Time for a new mower.
Not in the habit of throwing money away, the mower works fine, would have just been nicer to increase the deck size. Certainly not worth spending the $2,500 minimum to get one with a bigger deck.

Posted By: cheese There shouldn't be any problem finding decks, it's a MTD and I think I even have a extra deck or two around that will fit it. I don't think they make one bigger than a 50" that will fit though. Not sure if it's worth the hassle and expense for 4 more inches of cut though.
I agree, for 4" additional inches it's not going to be really worth while.

TN

05-19-16, 11:02 AM   #8  
Widen Mower

Look into a towable, outrigger mower to pull behind your existing mower. Would double your mowing capacity

NY

05-21-16, 05:57 AM   #9  
mower deck

My son in law has an older wheel horse. He cut an extra deck in half, and welded it on to one side of the existing deck. Rigged up a belt, and it works great. Just have to be careful not to get too close to trees on the side with the extension!
I guess anything's possible. Steve

Search this Thread