2012 LTX 1045 Cub Cadet(13WX91AT056) Belt Comes Off

Old 05-22-16, 08:35 AM
2012 LTX 1045 Cub Cadet(13WX91AT056) Belt Comes Off

My belt keeps coming off. I've noticed that the rod for the brake on the left side has come out and the spring is keeping the brake pressed against the spindle. Would this make the belt come off? Also the idler puller assembly seems to have a lot of vertical (up and down) play is this normal?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-16, 01:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Those are notorious for belt problems. That pulley that is moving... is it in line with the other pulleys (on the same plane)? Often the arm it is mounted on gets bent and throws it out of alignment. Are both belt guards in place over the blade pulleys? The brake rubbing shouldn't cause the belt to come off but it will cause heat buildup and eventually when the pad wears through, probably sparks too.

Old 05-22-16, 02:00 PM
The belt guards are in place. Not sure if they are in the correct position since they have moved several times because I've had to put the belt back on several times. It does not appear that the idler pulley is in the same plane as the other pulley and spindles. I tried to tighten the bolt that holds the idler bracket but it had no effect on tightening up the idler bracket. It's still very loose vertically. Is my idler bracket trashed? I don't understand why it's so loose if the bolt is tight. Thanks for the help Cheese.

Old 05-22-16, 02:04 PM
Took that brake pad off and it was worn down to the metal.

Old 05-22-16, 11:23 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I usually bend the arm with the idler pulley on it until it lines up with the rest of the pulleys... unless there is so much play that the bushing needs replacing. The belt guides should only go in one way. If they can rotate whern you loosen the bolt, then it's not in the right place. There is a bump on the bottom of the guide that barely pops into a hole in the plate it mounts on when it's in the right spot. The guide should also be close to the pulley. Enough so that the belt can't fit between the pulley lip and the guide.

Old 05-23-16, 05:49 PM
Where is the bushing? Name:  image.jpg
Views: 3226
Size:  33.4 KB. Is it the washer?

Is part 60 the belt guide your referring too?

Thanks.

Old 05-24-16, 01:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I think it's #41. I think it has a shoulder underneath that fits the hole in the arm.
Yes, #60 is the guide. You can see the hole in the arm it mounts to and the nub on the guide that fits in the hole.

Old 06-05-16, 04:17 PM
Cheese, thanks for the help. Got the new parts in and installed. Set the belt guides back in their correct spots and it worked great yesterday. Today I got on it to move it, started up, moved it, now it won't start! It just cranks over. I literally got off for less than five minutes. There is plenty of gas. When the key is in first position the battery indicator shows about 11.6, when I turn to second position it shows about 9.5/9.6 volts. Are these numbers correct? I bought the battery this year. Any thoughts on what the problem may be?

Old 06-05-16, 07:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Does it click or anything at all? It could be a bad battery, I've had them go bad instantly (something shorts or loses contact inside) or it could just be a bad battery connection (much more likely).

Old 06-05-16, 07:39 PM
It was just turning over. But my daughter left the lights on and now it's acting dead. I put a multimeter on the battery and it showed 12.4 volts. Connections are good.

Old 06-05-16, 07:44 PM
I also tried to jump start it with no luck.

Old 06-05-16, 10:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I see now see where you said it just cranks over... the 9.5 volt thing threw me. It should not be dropping that low, but if you're just looking at the dash gauge, I wouldn't rely on it being accurate. If it's cranking, check for spark.

Old 06-06-16, 04:52 AM
How do you check for spark?

Old 06-06-16, 12:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Take the spark plug(s) out, out them in the plug wires and situate them so that the metal part of them is touching metal on the engine, then crank the engine and watch for a repeating spark at the electrode end.

Old 06-06-16, 07:43 PM
I can't even get it to turn over now. Pulled the battery and I'm going to take it to Autozone and have them check it out. I'll let you know tomorrow. Thanks Cheese.

Old 06-08-16, 04:05 PM
Turns out the battery was bad. Weird, starts up for a few minutes, turn it off, for a few more, and then it won't start. It's what I get for getting a cheap battery.