Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Tractor acts like it's running out of fuel

VA

06-01-16, 09:44 AM   #1  
Tractor acts like it's running out of fuel

Still working through issues on my mower, White Outdoor GT2150 with a Tecumseh OV698 engine.

The latest issue is that I can be mowing fine and it will start to act like it is running out of gas. Initially I found some crud in the bottom of the gas tank that appeared to be blocking the fuel line. However, even after clearing all that out it still acts like it is running out of gas.

If I open the gas cap when it is doing this I notice bubbles coming up into the gas tank, fuel is getting to the carb fine because it will run with no issues for random periods of time. I had replaced all the fuel lines a while back and put in a new fuel filter.

Outside of it possibly being that the filter needs replacing due to the junk that was previously in the gas tank, or something being stuck in one of the lines? is there anything else that would cause this behavior? It does not always do it, for example Saturday I mowed for about 45 minutes until it started.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-01-16, 10:45 AM   #2  
Does it run better with the gas cap removed? The cap vent might be plugged.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

VA

06-02-16, 09:01 AM   #3  
I did try removing the cap briefly and it seemed as though the engine would rev back up, however the rubber on the bottom of the gas cap came away entirely so I figured the vent should be clear and it was still acting up.

Might be worth a shot though, especially as the rubber on the cap is no good to replace the cap. I may also toss on a new filter since the other one would have collected some of the junk from in the tank.

VA

06-02-16, 05:57 PM   #4  
First thing I would have done removed and flushed out that tank, replaced the fuel lines and removed and clean out the carb. with carb. cleaner and installed a rebuild kit.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-02-16, 07:14 PM   #5  
He said he cleared out the tank and replaced the fuel lines... If it runs fine until it runs out of fuel, the carb is not likely to be the issue.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

VA

06-12-16, 08:51 AM   #6  
Quick update... new fuel cap made no difference. Started mowing yesterday and after about an hour of no issues it started doing the same problem. The one thing I did notice was that initially it was only acting like it was cutting out while going downhill.

I stopped and left things for about 30 minutes, went back to it and while it was fine for the first about another 30 minutes it then started acting up again. This time however doing it while going uphill. It seemed to be fine on level ground, then as soon as I started to go up or down a hill it would cut out.

Gas level was fine, more than 3/4 of a tank. One thing I did notice was ever so slight popping/back firing, not sure if that is related or the cause. Really strange that it was fine for about an hour then started acting up.

Group Moderator

NC

06-12-16, 09:04 AM   #7  
When it dies next time immediately check to see if you are getting spark to the plug.

VA

06-12-16, 11:52 AM   #8  
The thing is, that it does not die entirely. The revs will drop way down, almost to the point that I think it will cut out, then it spins back up again.

VA

06-12-16, 03:49 PM   #9  
Tried to edit my last post, does anyone know if this engine uses a fuel pump? I cannot find out for certain.

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

06-12-16, 05:20 PM   #10  
The numbers for the engine you posted are not accurate and or provide no search results. Since your fuel tank is front mounted under the console, I would assume it is gravity fed.

Just needs a bigger hammer
Peace

VA

06-12-16, 05:40 PM   #11  
Apologies, just saw I put OV698. It is actually an OV691ea. It looks (I also looked on the engine) as though it does have a fuel pump. Is it possible that is faulty?

Down the line from there the only fuel related items left to check would be the carbs, but I would think if those were the issue of would not run fine for an hour.

Search this Thread