Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Craftsman tractor: had a bad day

OH

06-04-16, 07:33 AM   #1  
Craftsman tractor: had a bad day

OK, I have a craftsman lt1000 riding mower. Yesterday I had two problems with it.

I hit a rock in my yard and the bar that attaches to the ball joint to rotate the front wheels popped off. I put it back on the ball joint, but it does not stay very well. Slight vibration makes it fall right off, and the steering becomes useless. How do I fix this? Do i have to buy a new part, and if so what is it called?

While trying to fix the first issue, the mower stopped turning over. I turn the key, and it just makes a high pitch RRRRRRRR noise from up front. What happened? Did I over load something? I took the battery off and checked it, its a bit low so I put it on a charger. Any ideas?

This mower is second hand, and may be on its last legs. Currently sitting here, salty as heck, waiting for some kid to come and give me a price on cutting my lawn.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

OH

06-04-16, 07:39 AM   #2  
The full part no. of the mower would help us identify the exact mower you have. Should be on a sticker on the mower.

Paul

Inside every small project is a big project waiting to slug you over the head and take all your money and time....

Forum Topic Moderator

NC

06-04-16, 07:42 AM   #3  
There should be a tag on mower with model #. Please post # so we can see the parts you are talking about. After battery is charged does it still make rrrrr noise?

OH

06-04-16, 08:56 AM   #4  
Mod No.

Mod No. 917.270532 Ser No. 071200C026708

Battery Still Charging.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-04-16, 12:42 PM   #5  
You need a drag link #1926091 to fix the steering problem... it's a normal wear part.

The spinning sounds like the starter gear is not kicking up and engaging with the flywheel. Could just be dust and dirt that needs to be cleaned off or the gear may have broken. If the gear is broken, buy a genuine replacement gear from briggs for 5 or 6 bucks, don't be fooled by the 99 cent ones online. They are junk and sometimes break before starting the engine one single time.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

GA

06-05-16, 08:11 AM   #6  
Battery may be going bad.

Search this Thread