Echo trimmer run Issue

Old 06-20-16, 04:31 PM
Echo trimmer run Issue

Hi all, my SRM230 Echo trimmer would not start after long storage period. Put in fresh gas, no go. Spark plug was dry and looked pretty clean so left it alone. Put on new air filter, new primer bulb, new fuel lines, new pickup filter, checked exhaust port for carbon buildup, it was clear, cleaned carb twice, second time took high jet out and cleaned it. I think the hi jet is where the problem was, could not get a fine wire through hole in tip to pass up where the hole in side was. Soaked it in carb cleaner 30 mins, poked at it some more and finally with the help of a lighted magnifer was able to see the wire through the side hole when poked through the bottom hole.

Trimmer now starts and when warmed up some will idle fairly well, but when throttled up, it bogs and stalls out. No fuel or air leaks noticed. If I start it at wide open, it seems to run strong. So the problem is using throttle to move off idle to full cutting speed. What am I missing?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-16, 10:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Opening the mixture screws a bit doesn't help the problem any? Something in the carb is likely the problem. How is the compression?

Old 06-21-16, 03:41 AM
Remove muffler and clean spark arrester (metal screen) attached to the motor side of muffler. If not sure high speed (HS) needle is set correctly, turn HS needle in by hand until HS needle meets resistance. Turn HS needle out one and one-half turns. When engine has warmed up, set HS needle for optimum engine RPM. Good luck.

Old 06-21-16, 06:46 AM
Compression is 120. Looks like I've made a rookie mistake when I took the carb apart the first time. Pulling the black plastic drum from the carb bore, I think I must have lost the little bushing/bearing that lives on side of bore the drum rides on as the throttle action is not smooth now. Checked the tiny screen under the fiber shield which is under the 5 screw metal cover on muffler and it was clean.

New carb time? I can get a new one and a repower kit with extra parts for next time for $22?

Old 06-21-16, 07:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
For 22 bucks I think that's the best bet.

Search this Thread