Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

John Deere D110 Riding Mower won't start unless I spray starter fluid in carb

PA

06-22-16, 08:52 AM   #1  
John Deere D110 Riding Mower won't start unless I spray starter fluid in carb

Hi, all. I have John Deere D110 riding mower with a Briggs and Stratton 19.5 HP engine. The mower is about three years old and has about 31 hours on it. I put some old gas in the mower and it cut out after 15 minutes and now I can't get it restarted unless I spray starter fluid down the air intake and even then it only runs for a second. I siphoned the old fuel out and put new fuel in. No change. I removed the fuel filter and checked for clogs, but there weren't any. I removed the fuel line and tried to start it to see if fuel was flowing, and it was. I removed the carburetor, dismantled it, cleaned it, and put it back in. No change at all.

Bottom line: the engine cranks, it won't start...if I spray starter fluid, it cranks, starts, and immediately dies.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Rich

Sponsored Links

IA

06-22-16, 09:17 AM   #2  
Put the choke full on, half throttle, and crank it over about ten times. Then take out the plug, choke off, full throttle, spin it over a few times to clear out the combustion chamber. Then stick the plug back in, with no choke, half throttle and see if it will take off on gas alone.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-22-16, 11:08 AM   #3  
Is the fuel solenoid opening? Did you poke a wire through the main jet in the carb to besure it's clear?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

PA

06-22-16, 12:36 PM   #4  
Marbobj: thanks. Can you tell me how to set the choke on this mower? It seems there's only one control, and that's the throttle beside the steering wheel.

Cheese: I didn't run a wire. That might be my next step if I have to take the carb apart again.

Thanks to you both!

Search this Thread