Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Stanley CH2 Chipper/Shredder Engine Issues

NY

06-24-16, 11:19 AM   #1  
Stanley CH2 Chipper/Shredder Engine Issues

Last year, I bought a Stanley CH2 Chipper/Shredder that I found online. The ad said that it wasn't running and was asking $100. After research, I found that it retailed for approx $700 new, so even though I know very little about small engines, I figured it was worth a look. When I went to see it, the seller admitted that it has been sitting out uncovered in the elements for over a year. I politely declined, but he said he just wanted to get it out of his yard, so how about $25. For that price, I figured "why not".

So, to make a long story short, first thing I did when I got it home was remove the old gas in the tank and put in some new. After pulling the starter cord about 50 times, it actually started. I let it run about 5 minutes and then shut it down. The following weekend, I couldn't get it started. I removed the carburetor bowl, and it looked like it was half filled with yellow jelly. I cleaned it out and then looked inside past the choke plate, which looked clean. I put everything back together. After about 30 pulls of the starter cord, it started. But....now it only runs on full choke. If I try to move the choke lever to "run", the engine dies.

Two questions......#1, If I run the engine in full choke and use the chipper, am I doing damage to the engine? #2, Any advice for someone who knows very little about small engines on how to get it running better?

Thanks!

Here's a few pictures:Name:  IMAG0944a.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  42.2 KBName:  IMAG0943a.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  30.9 KBName:  IMAG0945a.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  32.7 KB

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

KS

06-24-16, 11:34 AM   #2  
You can try removing the bowl nut and cleaning out the jets in it. Otherwise you need to remove the carb and some a thorough cleaning.

Using the choke is not a good idea, best case you keep it too rich and foul plugs, worse case you run it too lean and engine gets hot....

Just needs a bigger hammer
Peace

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

06-24-16, 11:38 AM   #3  
Looking closer we could use some more info:
Engine manufacture and numbers.
Looks like a briggs but that carb might have different jets than I was thinking.

Also look in your gas tank, is it one that is filled with foam?

Peace

NY

06-24-16, 12:26 PM   #4  
Hi BFHFixit. From what I've read online, all the engine info says "Stanley 6.5hp, 208cc engine". Do you know where on the engine itself I might see numbers or manufacturer info?

The gas in the tank is just regular 87 octane gas. No foam. And thank you for the warning about not using it while running it on full choke. I was prepared to do that but then decided to write the post here first to be safe.

MO

06-24-16, 12:35 PM   #5  
The engine looks like a Honda or Honda clone to me, there are several utube videos on line for cleaning the carb, here is one. Have a good one. Geo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cknDXc2b8Y

NY

06-24-16, 12:46 PM   #6  
Thanks for the link geogrubb! That video allowed me to find one that is even better because it looks like my exact carburetor. Here's that link in case you have any interest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMw91fiIXNc

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

06-24-16, 03:35 PM   #7  
The only thing about Honda and even the clones is that the bowl has two nuts on it, one for the bowl the other is a drain and I did not see that in the pics. Plus you can see the carb with the airfilter housing on, Honda and clones NO WAY! The tip that is was briggs is the 208cc and it looks much like the engine on my tiller.

Peace

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-24-16, 06:41 PM   #8  
This is absolutely a honda gx160 clone from China. Clean the carb and you problems will go away. When you remove the bowl, there is a jet in the hole where the bolt that holds the bowl on goes. Clean it out well and then look at the last picture you posted. It shows a black plastic screw on top of the carburetor. That is the idle speed screw. Take it out, the you'l see a black plastic thing underneath where the head of that screw went. Grip it with pliers and pull up. This is the idle jet. It has a tiny hole down through it. Take the wire out of a bread bag twist tie or something similar and poke it through there to clear it out. Put all back together and you should be good to go.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

NY

06-30-16, 09:54 AM   #9  
Sorry for my delayed response, guys!

BFHFixit......It didn't show in the pics, but the bowl does indeed have two nuts in it. I looked up some pics of the Honda gx160 and it looks to be identical to what I have. Thanks again for you info!

Cheese.....If I'm understanding correctly, you're saying I don't need to remove the carburetor and completely clean every part? Just clean out that jet hole where the bowl bolt goes and clean the idle jet? Thanks!!

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-30-16, 10:42 AM   #10  
It depends on how badly it's clogged. Sometimes a can of spray cleaner and thin piece of wire will clean one up good enough and without removing it. Use compressed air to blow it out too, if you have access. If that doesn't do it, take it off.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

NY

06-30-16, 02:33 PM   #11  
Thanks cheese. That will be my weekend project. Great idea about using the wire in a twist tie to clean the holes, btw. I just watched a video showing how it's done and that size wire should be perfect.

Search this Thread