New Craftsman 22" snow thrower: no spark

Old 06-25-16, 11:17 AM
New Craftsman 22" snow thrower: no spark

I have a Craftsman Snow Thrower model 247.88787 that's not getting a spark. The machine belongs to a friend that recently purchased a home and was given the snow thrower with the home. I'm almost positive this thing has never been used. The person that owned the house previously said as much and it looks like it hasn't been used. There is no spark (tested with a spark tester). What's the first thing I should look at for causing no spark?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-16, 12:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I would check to see that the cutoff switch was not grounded.

Old 06-25-16, 12:17 PM
I am also thinking, and would be along the line of the cutoff switch, I assume there is/are interlock switch(es) that prevent it from firing if the transmission or auger are engaged. I don't know, don't recall ever running into this situation on a snowblower, but have on lawn mowers, etc., and sometimes they will get a bit sticky. I have typically given them a short shot of WD40, just to loosen the gum a bit, wiped them off, actuated them with a finger a few times, and that's often enough to free them up. Most likely they just ground out the coil. If you don't have one in the manual, there is probably a schematic at searspartsdirect.com.

Old 06-25-16, 01:27 PM
Thanks for the suggestion regarding the safety switch. However, the safety switch is in working order. Any other suggestions?

Old 06-25-16, 01:57 PM
Any idea how long it was sitting . . . . years ?

Small mammals and snakes have been known to take up residence inside lawn and garden equipment, including inside the shroud over the starter/flywheel housing . . . . and they often leave a lot of debris behind them (not the snakes), and occasionally chew on wiring.

Last edited by Vermont; 06-25-16 at 02:30 PM.
Old 06-25-16, 02:05 PM
It's June, the snowblower has gone on vacation, check again in about November. Have a good one. Geo

Old 06-25-16, 02:23 PM
Find the ground wire plugged into the coil(probably green), unplug it then check for spark, if you don't have any spark the coil is bad, if you do have spark then it is a process of elimination, bad connections, pinched or broken wires etc. Have a good one. Geo

Old 06-25-16, 02:24 PM
Probably sat for 2 years. I'll check the wiring and see if anything chewed.
Geo, LOL. Told my friend I would check it out for him when it was cold...it's about 90 today. If it's not a chewed wire, I'll tell him it's on vacation.

Old 06-26-16, 11:12 AM
Okay, it wasn't the lack of a spark. The carburetor needing cleaning! The spark tester wasn't making a good connection, so we weren't getting a spark. After cleaning the carburetor, the snow blower is running, but idle fluctuates up and down. Does the carburetor need more cleaning? See video below...

https://youtu.be/fsjg5mHSjOo

Old 06-26-16, 12:49 PM
Spray/dribble some carb/brake parts cleaner behind the carb, if the engine tempo changes you have an air leak if not put a strong dose of SeaFoam in the gas, run it for 30 min let it set for 30 min then run it again, the Seafoam will probably clean the remaining residue. Have a good one. Geo

Old 06-26-16, 02:08 PM
We'll give it a try. Thank you, Geo.

Old 06-26-16, 02:25 PM
There's no way this snow blower is supposed to fluctuate, correct? I nearly got into an argument with my neighbor (not really, but he's a know it all, or thinks he is). He's telling me it's supposed to sound that way. Once you start using the machine, the snow putting pressure against the paddles evens the engine.

I've only heard a few machines sound like that and thought to myself something was wrong.

Old 06-26-16, 02:45 PM
If that's a Tecumseh Engine on this unit, then the surging may be due to a clogged Idle Restricter Screw on the carburetor.

It presents itself in the same way when clogged with caked fuel additives . . . . surging endlessly when at idle; but functioning normally when placed under load (sort of like your Neighbor described).

It's a simple procedure to clean the screw with a tiny wire up the middle and another opening through the screw perpendicular. There's a video online for how to do it . . . . more complicated to describe than to actually do it. Donny Boy (in Quebec) did the video; but I think it will come up if you goggle "Tecumseh Surging".

If it's not a Tecumseh Engine and Carb . . . . then never mind.

Old 06-26-16, 07:30 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
There's no way this snow blower is supposed to fluctuate, correct? I nearly got into an argument with my neighbor (not really, but he's a know it all, or thinks he is). He's telling me it's supposed to sound that way. Once you start using the machine, the snow putting pressure against the paddles evens the engine.

I've only heard a few machines sound like that and thought to myself something was wrong.
If only when there is no load on the engine it does this, than I maintain it is NOT "abnormal"! Tillers, pressure washers, chippers and thus snow throwers, are all capable of these same symptoms.
Even if there was a way to adjust them to idle smooth, likely it would be too lean to provide peak power under full load. These machines are put under a much heavier load than a normal lawnmower. That sound is the engine saying, get me to work or shut me off!!!!
If it aint broke DON'T FIX IT!