Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Honda Harmony 215sx: carb removal

VA

06-30-16, 04:05 AM   #1  
Honda Harmony 215sx: carb removal

I picked up this mower for free off Craigslist. The gas smelled rotten so i tried to remove the carb for cleaning. On other mowers this means removing bolts, but this carb slides onto threaded studs and is secured with nuts. When I try to slide the carb off the studs, the deck gets in the way and the bowl nut hits a surface on the deck. There is not enough clearance between the deck and the carb to remove the bowl nut (which would allow the carb to slide off the studs).

Can i back the carb mount studs out by unthreading them, or are they permanently installed? There are no squared wrench points on the studs, i thought i might threadlock two nuts and wrench at the nuts. I'd hate to have to remove the engine just to get at the carb.

What's the right way to do this?

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-30-16, 10:37 AM   #2  
I jam two nuts together on each stud and use them to back the studs out as you suggested.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

VA

06-30-16, 10:40 AM   #3  
Thanks, I'll take a shot. I just realized I'd only have to remove one stud, then tilt the carb sideways a bit to slide it off.

VA

07-04-16, 04:48 AM   #4  
Thanks again, the idea to unthread the studs worked. I put 2 nuts on the stud and tightened them against each other, then turned the "inside" nut to turn the stud. Cleaned the carb and got floating crud out of the tank, gassed it and it fired up.

Search this Thread