Craftsman Kohler 26 HP engine starts but dies as soon as the start switch not on

Old 07-03-16, 07:19 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Craftsman Kohler 26 HP engine starts but dies as soon as the start switch not on

My Mower is starting but as soon as I let go of the start key it dies. If I hold the key on the engine stays running but we all know you cant do that. Any thoughts?

Old 07-03-16, 08:44 AM
M
Received 34 Upvotes on 33 Posts
What happened when it started doing it - "shut it off, running fine, started acting up" or "been sitting for a couple years" - that sort of thing.

Old 07-03-16, 11:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
My fisrt suspect would be the ignition switch.

Old 07-03-16, 03:05 PM
B
mower

I sold it and the user had some issues with it. magnets came off flywheel wiped out stator so I replaced the flywheel and stater. I am thinking this is not all that happened as I see someone wired the fuel solenoid differently. I suspect they had some other problem that occured. Will call previous owner and ask some questions. Still have no power unless the ignition is in the start position.

Old 07-03-16, 05:25 PM
M
Received 34 Upvotes on 33 Posts
Do you have power to the fuel solenoid with the switch in the "run" position? That's about the only place you need power after it starts to run the engine. The kill/off position cuts the power to the fuel solenoid, but grounds the kill wire from the coil/module. Going from "start" to "run", takes power away from the starter solenoid and leaves it to the fuel solenoid.

It may be there was some rewiring that got everything crossed up.

Old 07-04-16, 08:13 AM
B
Thanks I will check to see what is going wrong with the wiring today and see if I can isolate the issue.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: