Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Testing John Deere riding mower solenoid

IN

07-06-16, 09:31 PM   #1  
Testing John Deere riding mower solenoid

I looked at a couple of 4 post solenoids online, but the ones I see a ground was connected to one of the spade connectors and the ignition to the other. In the solenoid below (link), both spades are connected to the ignition switch. If I wanted to test this particular solenoid, would I just connect a ground to the mounting frame, then 12V to either of the spade connectors? Why are there 2 spade connectors on this solenoid? Assuming I connect my positive and negative correctly, I realize I should test for continuity between the 2 posts (or perhaps hear the switch).

Thank you.

https://solenoidwh.shutterfly.com/pictures/9
Name:  solenoid.JPG
Views: 146
Size:  36.8 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 07-06-16 at 10:46 PM. Reason: added pic from link

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NJ

07-06-16, 10:49 PM   #2  
The two spade terminals need 12vdc to be applied to make the relay close.

Normally one terminal goes to ground or even thru a safety switch to ground.
The other terminal needs positive and usually gets it from the momentary switch on the ignition that closes when the key is held to start.

The two large terminals are the battery supply to the starter and are shorted together with 12v on the coil terminals.

~ Pete ~

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-06-16, 10:51 PM   #3  
There are two spade terminals because this one is externally grounded instead of grounding through the mounting bracket. any Deeres control the ground to the solenoid through the safety system to keep it from starting with the blades on, etc...

To test, put 12 volts on one spade terminal and ground the other. When you do, it should click and you should get continuity between the two large posts.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

IN

07-07-16, 05:36 AM   #4  
Thanks for the responses. I'll give it a try this afternoon.

Search this Thread