Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Recommendation for type of edger

AR

07-18-16, 01:58 PM   #1  
Recommendation for type of edger

My house is a corner lot, with a sidewalk and a small strip of grass b/w that sidewalk and the curb. In other words, I have a TON of edging work every time I mow the lawn. Plus, I have bermudagrass, which is thick and grows over the sidewalk quickly.

I currently have a battery powered Ryobi string trimmer, which gets the job done - just very slowly. I'd like to upgrade to something stronger.

So my question is...what type of edger should I get? A hardcore gas-powered string trimmer or a gas-powered push edger with a metal blade? I'm leaning towards the push one, but I'd love to get some feedback/advice.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

KS

07-18-16, 03:29 PM   #2  
I would lean the same way as you. Get a small 4 stroke 3hp or some such, getrdun!
Might likely find something used.

Just needs a bigger hammer
Peace

VA

07-19-16, 03:18 PM   #3  
I can tell you what's been working for me for years, and I'm doing up to 17 yards a week plus my own.
I own 2, Stihl FS 90R trimmers, both have started first or second pull every time for many years.
More then enough power to blow through tall grass without an issue.
By just loosing up 2, screws I can slide off the line trimmer head and change to an edging tool, brush, chain saw, hedge trimmer, ECT.
So I only have to maintain and store one tool, the add one's I can just set on the shelf until I need them.
FS 90 R Professional Trimmer | Low Emission Trimmer | STIHL USA Mobile
I had thought about buying a dedicated 4 cycle edger, but it would just be one more tool that gets so little use I knew there would be fuel issues.
My girlfriend owns a B&D Bull Dog electric edger and it's about useless, not enough power, does not dug in deep enough, to light, pain to have to run out all the cord to run it.

MN

07-20-16, 05:04 AM   #4  
...gas-powered push edger with a metal blade?

If you don't mind spending a few bucks they really work nice, beautiful job. If possible I'd rent one first and see if you like it.

Search this Thread