Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Scotts lawn tractor won't start

MN

07-20-16, 12:40 PM   #1  

I'm getting desperate for new ideas on why my Scott's lawn tractor won't start. Its a model S2046 with a 20 h.p. Briggs and Stratton motor. I get no click or buzz, nothing when I turn the key. So far, I've checked the battery,which is good,replaced the solenoid ,it looked rusty, checked the ignition switch, the mower deck switch, brake switch and the seat switch. I checked the fuse, replaced a 5 pronged plug switch, who's purpose I don't even know. I have continuity through the wiring from the ignition switch to the solenoid. When I connect the two large contacts on the solenoid the engine starts and runs fine, when I ground one of the small terminals on the solenoid and put power to the other small terminal it starts and runs fine. I'm pretty much out of ideas and would appreciate any input anyone could provide. Maybe something is grounding out or there is a broken wire but I don't know how to test for that

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

KS

07-20-16, 03:39 PM   #2  
It will help if you can find a wiring diagram for it.
Sounds to me like either a safety switch is gone bad, bad connection along the line, or a safety switch not being made. Hard to chase those lil gremlin electrons through the wire looms so wiring diagram helps immensely.
You will need the model number of the tractor.
Basically need to trace the ground circuit from the solenoid back to the source which is the battery. If you have a 4 pole solenoid, and the small terminal for ground does not have a ring terminal under the mounting bolt, then that is what they use for the safety circuit.
Sometimes/usually, it can be as simple as unplugging and plugging back in a connector or switch. Otherwise it could be a cut or pulled out wire.....

Just needs a bigger hammer
Peace

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

07-20-16, 03:48 PM   #3  
I see you did post the model....unfortunately it is a deere product and finding a wiring diagram could be a pain.
You can find an image of the wiring harness here that might be of some help.

I would start with the brake switch, since it most certainly has to be made for the starter solenoid to work.
Try starting it with the brake set, then release the brake with no one in the seat switch, if it dies, then set the brake, start it again and with no one in the seat try the pto..it should die. That should verify that the switches are at least working but not eliminate a connection to one since the starting circuit could be on a different terminal of the connector.

Just needs a bigger hammer
Peace

Last edited by BFHFixit; 07-20-16 at 04:05 PM.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-21-16, 12:26 AM   #4  
Check for power at either small wire plugged on the solenoid near the base while trying to start. If there is power on one, then there probably isn't ground on the other. If there is no power to either, check for it coming from the switch when you turn it to start. If there is power there, you are losing it in one of the safety switches. If not, you will need to backtrack through the fuse and the harness power wire to the source.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

MN

07-25-16, 11:46 AM   #5  

Problem solved thank you so much. Was checking for power at solenoid as "cheese " suggested, no power there, so I went to check power leaving the ignition switch. As I was checking it, something in the switch clicked and the starter went. I had done a continuity test on that switch early on and it seemed good,but maybe when it had a plug on it and remounted something broke the connection inside the switch. Intermittent electrical problem, everyone's favorite. Thanks again for the help also thanks for the link to the John Deere site.

LA

07-28-16, 07:08 PM   #6  
My cousin bought a Scott's in the mid 90's It was a hydro foot pedal type with the heel reverse.

When the hood was lifted it had John Deere all over it. Best mower I seen in the day besides the old Simplicity And he still has it today and cutting grass ~!~!

Search this Thread