Briggs 550EX Leaking Carburetor

Old 07-21-16, 09:27 AM
Briggs 550EX Leaking Carburetor

I have a TB mower with a Briggs 550EX engine. The carburetor is leaking badly. I have cleaned the needle and seat as well as all the internals. I have a new needle due in tomorrow however I was wondering if there is a way to replace the seat. Carburetor is 799584 Engine is 9P702-0005-F1

Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-16, 11:02 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't think the seat is replaceable on that. The whole carb brand new is only $25.

Old 07-21-16, 01:26 PM
Cheese you know I respect your opinion on many levels however this carb is $70. If I could find one for $25 I would buy it in a heartbeat. The reason it was leaking as it turns out was the plastic plug on the bottom of the bowl. I took it off and reset it and that stopped the l;eak. Had gas in the cylinder, removed plug, pulled cord, a lot of gas flew out, wont start. Changed plug - no dice. I am letting it dry out overnight.

Old 07-21-16, 04:17 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
That plug is nothing more than a drain plug...???

The number you gave is for the auto choke. I have seen the plastic lever that the choke rod connects to on top of the carb break so that the rod does not actuate the choke. I can't tell if yours also has the vacuum hose for the choke but it can also be an issue.
You can try to jam the choke open with a small screw driver and prime the carb with some fuel see if it fires.
Could still be a needle/seat issue.

There are quite a few variations of these carbs cheese...seems his is near 70 bux from what I find. Several others similar for under 25.

Old 07-21-16, 04:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yep, you're right. I googled that number rather than looking it up on a parts site and it brought up a 593261 for $23 and it looks like the same carb but I didn't notice the number change. Funny that it brought that up first in the list when the number doesn't even match.

https://www.google.com/search?q=7995...584+carburetor

Old 07-21-16, 05:21 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Heheh! Ya I found that too but I actually "Read" the descrip

Old 07-22-16, 02:23 AM
Yes it is just a drain plug. I did not notice a vacuum line, only a breather tube. The choke seemed to be working ok. I pushed the choke open and sprayed some starter fluid in the carb however would not fire. i will try again today after letting it sit overnight. It was acting like no spark. I will check f/w gap etc. It showed plenty of spark with tester.

Old 07-22-16, 06:40 AM
Reset the spark plug to .020 and she fired off on the first pull. It ran terrible, blew black smoke, vibrated. It was like the auto choke was still on however the choke was open. It was also SPRAYING / MISTING small amounts of gas out of the venturi. Took the carb off again made sure all was good. Shut it off and restarted. It is starting on first pull but runs like crap. Next going to check flywheel key and valve clearances.

Old 07-22-16, 07:08 AM
Well spoke to soon, Went out after engine cooled to check f/w key and valves --- carb was leaking again. New needle is due in today. Will try that. If no go, I will have to call customer and tell them they need a new carb.