Stihl back pack blower (br600) won't start.

Old 08-01-16, 03:28 PM
Stihl back pack blower (br600) won't start.

Br 600 back pack blower quit starting. Found bad springs on choke and throttle so I replaced carb, no help. Compression is alittle over 60 psi. Checked armature with inline spark tester-good, grounded plug, great spark. Measured armature from plug cap to ground and got 2.15k ohms? Spun magnet and at least piston was T.D.C. when it was at the armature. Can't get fan nut to budge so I can't check drift pin. Threads look to be reverse on the fan nut but won't break loose forward or reverse. What the H..L am I missing? Thanks in advance!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-16, 04:00 PM
If you only have 60lb compression, you have big problems, it needs above 90 to run, remove the muffler and check the piston and cylinder walls for scoring gouges etc, was it ran without oil in the mix or something. Maybe the rings are stuck, try pushing on them with a thin screwdriver to see if there is any flex. Might try putting a spoonful of oil in the sparkplug hole to see if it will bring the compression up some. Have a good one. Geo

Old 08-01-16, 04:26 PM
Thanks Geo!!! Any thoughts on the fan nut?

Old 08-01-16, 05:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree, your engine is probably pretty toasty. 60 psi is not enough.

The fan nut is regular right hand threads but you can't turn it by holding the fan, it is built into and part of the fan. You need to remove the push rods, turn the engine to bottom dead center, fill the cylinder with pull rope so that it can't turn, then break the nut loose. It's very tight.

Old 08-01-16, 05:30 PM
Push rods? It's a 2 stk. I don't under stand???

Old 08-01-16, 06:25 PM
I believe the br600 is 4 mix, has valves.
I would try a new plug and check to see if fuel is making it to cylinder.

Old 08-01-16, 06:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It's a 4 stroke, called 4-mix. It takes 2 stroke oil but is 4 stroke and if you don't remove the push rods, you can cause damage doing the procedure I described.

Old 08-01-16, 06:49 PM
Guys, I'm sorry but this is a 2 stk. No motor oil, just crank case and cylinder ports.

Old 08-01-16, 10:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The 4 mix doesn't have motor oil. That's what we're trying to tell you... it takes 2 stroke oil mixed in with the gas but is not a 2 stroke. Here's the owner's manual... you might check out page 14.

http://maintenance.conroeisd.net/cus...pair/stihl.pdf

Old 08-02-16, 03:55 AM
With the valves it gives you a couple of considerations. One is if the 60 psi compression is accurate you could have a problem in the valve train.

The other is what Cheese cautioned you on. If you use the rope in the cylinder to hold the crank from turning and the pushrods haven't been removed, the valves are forced against the rope and wrecks the valves/pushrods, etc. So don't go ahead as if you're dealing with a two stroke without valves.

Old 08-02-16, 07:25 AM
Apologies to all!!!! This is a new one to me! I'll just have to pull the head and look for damage as I've already tried to pull the fan nut with rope. Sorry to doubt you all.

Search this Thread