Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Reverse Technology

VA

08-04-16, 04:59 PM   #1  
Reverse Technology

I have a Craftsman 54 inch lawn tractor with a kohler 26 hp engine. Worked good first couple years. Mice had eaten plug wire and I patched it and worked fine. Then it started to lack power so I replaced the solid state firing module. Worked good for about 3 months and same problem. If I let it run idling it would sometimes smooth out. Finally nothing would work. Replaced spark plugs and did fine rest of summer. Next spring back to the same problem. Figured one of the modules was not firing. Went to Kohler parts center and there was a fix. Replace the solid state firing modules with original magneto's. $125 kit but I did it and worked fine. Kohler claims the voltage spike from energizing the electric clutch was zapping the solid state modules. Mower manufacturer is supposed to install a suppressor to stop this. I found nothing. Many screwed up the carburetor working on this.

Sponsored Links

VA

08-04-16, 05:03 PM   #2  
oops

To moderator. Can you you move to Lawn and Garden forum.

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

08-04-16, 05:24 PM   #3  
Can you post the Model and spec #?
I should be able to check if there was any recall or bulletin.
Since this will be a kohler issue, the craftsman info may not be helpful. Also serial number if you can find it, of the engine, not the mower.

Just needs a bigger hammer
Peace

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-04-16, 11:08 PM   #4  
Put a diode (something like a 50 volt, 6 amp) in the 12 volt wire right before the connector on the clutch and ground the negative side of the clutch to the frame. This should stop any reverse feedback generated when the magnetic field in the coil collapses. for further protection you could add a capacitor to level out any spikes but I don't think it's necessary.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

VA

08-07-16, 05:18 PM   #5  
engine info

here is pict I took off engine label.

SV735S
SV735-0016Name:  IMG_2898MA29974922-0001.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  34.0 KB

Search this Thread