Craftsman riding mower

Old 04-19-01, 01:53 PM
Visiting Guest
I have an old (12 years old or so)craftsman riding mower with a 12 horse engine. Got it from a friend. It ran great last year. I put new belts on it this year, started it and cut the yard. When I tried to start it again, it would not start. I got a new plug , put it in and still it would not start. I have tried putting fuel in the cylinder, starting fuel and wd 40. It will crank a while then back fire a few times when the cylinder becomes empty. Yet not start. I have pulled the plug and seen that it is firing. I have felt compression coming out the plug whole when I crank it with no plug in place. Could it have jumped time? Do I have major problems? can I fix it?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-01, 08:09 PM
Admin Emeritus
Hello rdswinford and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site and my Small Engine forum.

If your mower blades didn't strike any solid non moveable item that would cause the engine to come to a abrupt halt, I doubt you sheared the flywheel key. If you did, it's most likely the timing is off.

However, with belts driving the blades this is a far fetched possibility unless something jammed the pulleys.

Sounds like fuel starvation which may be another problem possibility. Could be a plugged gas cap vent. The breather vent in the gas cap may be plugged. Try starting the engine without the fuel cap on the tank.

Check for a fuel restriction from tank to carb. Also check for a grounded ignition.

Good Luck,
Tom_Bartco
Accurate Power Equipment Company.
Small Engine Service and Repair Technician.
Personal Quote:
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"