blower bogging down at full throttle

Old 08-11-16, 07:32 AM
blower bogging down at full throttle

Poulon PPBV25 Blower

Has less than an hour use (NEW!). It starts right up and idles great. Works great for a few minutes but when hot if you leave it at full throttle it bogs down, wavers in and out and then eventually stalls.

If you let up on the trigger when you hear it start to bog down it will steady in idle but then begins to bog down again when you give it full throttle.

Air filter is clean (however I noticed some gas moisture in the compartment).
I tried adjusting the single idle screw but that has no effect.

Too bad I cant return it, got refused because it was gassed up.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-16, 08:23 AM
Does new mean you just bought it or you may have bought it some time ago and used it very little?

Old 08-11-16, 08:35 AM
new as in fresh out the box 2 months ago.

It gets a little strange now after messing with it this morning.... I refilled with gas this morning and ran it full throttle without any issue?!

When I was running it at full throttle yesterday when it was bogging down, the muffler and the portion of the screen I saw inside was getting cherry red hot.

After emptying and refilling the tank this morning, when I was running it at full throttle with no issue the muffler was not getting cherry red hot.

Does that indicate anything?

Old 08-11-16, 09:16 AM
It indicates a higher combustion temperature. That could be from low oil in the fuel mix or from an air leak in the front side of the combustion = crank seals (unlikely) or loose bolts at the intake/carb. About anything that restricts the fuel flow or availability to the engine, to include carburetor/gas cap venting/pinched fuel line, etc.

Did you refill with the same gas you were using the day before (when it was messing up)

Old 08-11-16, 09:46 AM
thanks.... the gas was from the same can which is only a few weeks old (1 gallon and 1 small bottle of 2 cycle).
Would a new motor have a bad carb straight from the factory like this? Or could I damage a carb like this running at full throttle during the first tank or two of gas? (assuming theres a break in time I ignored or something?)

Thank for putting me on the right track though so I can look further into this if it happens again.

Old 08-11-16, 10:18 AM
Considerations are:

Don't let gas get too old, but that's not your problem there.

You could have a bad carb or the diaphragm in it could be a little too stiff or if you have ethanol gas some have had problems with it messing up neoprene components = both diaphragms - pump and metering. Avoid ethanol or put an ethanol guard additive in your gas. Ethanol attracts moisture - that could be your problem - water in the gas - it's heavier than gasoline and plugs the flow a little. Keep your gas container capped.

Only use high grade oil - it doesn't cost but a few pennies more. I use Stihl or Echo The 50:1 mix is usually recommended but in hot weather i go a little heavier with the oil like a 32:1 or around there.

Damaging the carb with full throttle = no - no break in period. The machine is designed to run full throttle.

Old 08-11-16, 10:57 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Good info above, I just want to add that if you see this happening again, don't keep running it. It'll make short work of the piston, ring, and cylinder and turn your new blower into scrap pretty quickly.