Troy Bilt Pony not starting

Old 08-18-16, 11:01 AM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Troy Bilt Pony not starting

Troy Bilt N779-Pony. B&S 17.5hp

This is a long one, sorry.
So since buying this mower, its always started sluggish. You turn the key, it makes 1 turn, hold it a second or two and it fires up.

Went to mow yesterday and it makes the 1 turn, but then another, then another. Cranking it never gets more than 1 half assed turn.

So got a new battery, same thing. Starter engages tho obviously sluggish.

I tested the solenoid by bridging the posts with a screw driver and the starter bumped

Now... the second time i bridged the solenoid, nothing happened. I pulled a solenoid off a craftsmen that i knew worked. Now when i turn the key, absolutly nothing happens...
Can bridging the solenoid posts for too long fry something? The 1 20amp fuse i found is still good. Are there any other fuses in this tractor? Im at a loss. Thanks in advance

Old 08-18-16, 11:46 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The hard starting could be a valve adjustment.
As for the problem now, Check the connections on the battery and the starter, especially the battery ground.

Old 08-18-16, 12:21 PM
F
It cranks again, still slow.no idea what i did to get power back but whatever.
Could a bad starter be the problem? I can always bump the switch and get it to creep around, then at a certain point it will spin 1 turn again.
I just dont know if starter motors will give out all at once. Tapping it doesnt help

Old 08-18-16, 12:25 PM
F
Also how do i check valve adjustment?

Old 08-18-16, 12:57 PM
M
Received 35 Upvotes on 34 Posts
Sounds like a valve adjustment problem. Go to the B & S website and pick out the manual for your engine. They usually have the valve adjustment procedure.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: