Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Troy Bilt Pony not starting

08-18-16, 11:01 AM   #1  
Troy Bilt Pony not starting

Troy Bilt N779-Pony. B&S 17.5hp

This is a long one, sorry.
So since buying this mower, its always started sluggish. You turn the key, it makes 1 turn, hold it a second or two and it fires up.

Went to mow yesterday and it makes the 1 turn, but then another, then another. Cranking it never gets more than 1 half assed turn.

So got a new battery, same thing. Starter engages tho obviously sluggish.

I tested the solenoid by bridging the posts with a screw driver and the starter bumped

Now... the second time i bridged the solenoid, nothing happened. I pulled a solenoid off a craftsmen that i knew worked. Now when i turn the key, absolutly nothing happens...
Can bridging the solenoid posts for too long fry something? The 1 20amp fuse i found is still good. Are there any other fuses in this tractor? Im at a loss. Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

KS

08-18-16, 11:46 AM   #2  
The hard starting could be a valve adjustment.
As for the problem now, Check the connections on the battery and the starter, especially the battery ground.

Just needs a bigger hammer
Peace

08-18-16, 12:21 PM   #3  
It cranks again, still slow.no idea what i did to get power back but whatever.
Could a bad starter be the problem? I can always bump the switch and get it to creep around, then at a certain point it will spin 1 turn again.
I just dont know if starter motors will give out all at once. Tapping it doesnt help

08-18-16, 12:25 PM   #4  
Also how do i check valve adjustment?

IA

08-18-16, 12:57 PM   #5  
Sounds like a valve adjustment problem. Go to the B & S website and pick out the manual for your engine. They usually have the valve adjustment procedure.

Search this Thread