Troybilt 5550 with 10 HP Briggs running wide open on start up

Old 08-29-16, 05:51 PM
Troybilt 5550 with 10 HP Briggs running wide open on start up

I've borrowed this generator from a friend and it hasn't been run in a while.. emptied bad gas and cleaned out carb bowl, also changed the oil. I read a similar post about this and checked the governor and it was fine. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-16, 10:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Is it sparking?

--------------------

Old 08-30-16, 05:48 AM
sparking? the generator is working when its running, but it is deffinatly running too high RPM...

Old 08-30-16, 09:04 AM
Group Moderator
Does the governor move when the engine is started? Is the governor arm coming from the engine case connected to the carburetor?

Old 08-30-16, 09:11 AM
The governor nvr moves from wide open and the arm is hooked up...i can pull the arm bk and hold it to idle it down

Old 08-30-16, 10:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sorry, I see in the title now that it is running wide open. I sometimes don't read the titles, I just click on the next topic and read the thread. Got in that habit sometime during the years of moderating this forum.

It should run at 3600 rpm. Do you have a way to check the rpm? There may be a static tension adjustment that is adjusted too far or the governor arm itself might need adjusting if someone messed with it before or if it and/or the carb linkage got bent.

Old 08-30-16, 10:39 AM
I dont hv a way to chk rpm but im gonna try adjusting the governor bk the other way a little and see if it moves any when i put a load on it..the linkage doesn't appear to b bent

Old 08-30-16, 11:42 AM
Group Moderator
If the governor arm never moves then it could be an internal problem. I would follow Cheese's recommendation first to make sure something in the linkage isn't holding it all the way over.

When off the governor will be in one position then when you start it should jump or make a very noticeable movement to reign in the engine.