magic elixir for engines? I sometimes wonder.

Old 08-30-16, 06:14 AM
magic elixir for engines? I sometimes wonder.

Know a guy who does small engine repair. Dave. You know the type. Old codger, missing teeth, talks with a drawl, dirty coveralls with grease. Big old dog in the back. Hundreds of small engines, weed eaters, lawnmowers, generators, tractors, appliances litter the yard and the barn type shop must be walked through sideways. Don’t know how he can keep track of all the stuff. Guy can fix anything. And charges less than half of a typical repair shop (I always tip him and extra $5 or $10 on top of the bill). Never advertises, works out the back of his house, no sign, and you only know about him through word of mouth. Bring him a small engine that won’t start and you won’t get a receipt or paper that he has your item. Just a hand shake and your phone number written with marker on your piece of equipment. Usually he says about a week to repair. Always fixes it.

Brought him my generator that has been sitting idle for nearly a year with old gas in it. Will start with starter fluid and run for short time but dies after 30 seconds or so. Tried using carb cleaners and what not. Emptied the tank, pulled carb and tried cleaning it. All the typical things one does in this situation. I usually have a 50-50 success rate at fixing things of this nature.

Took it to Dave several days ago. Tell him what I’ve done and so forth. He says it will take several days to soak the carb. Take about a week to put it in running order. This seems to be his stock answer.

Several years ago I took my 2 year old at the time riding mower to him that I took extra care to maintain. Never used old gas and meticulous about oil and filters and winter storage. Could not keep it running or running smooth. He “soaked” the carb and it has been running perfect ever since and I've gotten lazy about fresh gas and filters. But it runs perfect every time since he fixed it. Been at least 4 years since.

So my question is, does he really soak the carb in some magic elixir. And if so what is the stuff?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-16, 07:05 AM
It is a trade secret and I will never tell except the guy I am mentoring!

RR

Old 08-30-16, 07:18 AM
No, he's just doing a good job of cleaning it. Napa has some good soak cleaners. He probably cleans the tank and makes sure it has a new filter and the lines are either replaced or serviceable.

Old 08-30-16, 08:11 AM
Experience, patience, thoroughness, and a stickler for "CLEAN". Soak, blow out passages, run small wire through them to be sure they are not restricted and another blow with compressed air.

Been doing them for 62 years and learn something new every time. Now if I can just remember half of it.

RR