Gear tractor slips out of gear

Old 09-14-16, 05:33 AM
Gear tractor slips out of gear

I have a ~1977 Jacobsen 1200 series gear tractor that has begun to slip out of reverse.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-16, 05:56 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Does it do it under acceleration, deceleration or all the time?

My ford NAA will pop out of gear going downhill so I just take my knee and hold the shift lever in place.

Old 09-14-16, 06:16 AM
Deceleration. It does not seem to pop out under power, and there's no getting a knee over there...at least not mine.

Old 09-14-16, 06:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Mine only does it going down hill, normally in first gear so it's no biggie to hold the shift lever in place. Mine's been that way for 25 yrs. I'm not familiar with your tractor.

Old 09-14-16, 06:37 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I agree with Mark. My Ford 640 does the same thing in first on decelleration. It has to do with the retention ring, and is more expensive and a PITA to fix than to just deal with it.

Old 09-14-16, 08:29 AM
So, then, you guys are suggesting I cob up some sort of prosthetic knee....

Old 09-14-16, 09:44 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
How often are you in reverse? Where is the shift lever? I'd figure out what works best to hold the shifter in reverse. Not necessarily a fix but once I got used to it on my NAA using my knee to hold it in first going down hill it has pretty much become second nature. I skint my knee up awhile back and until it healed it did hinder holding it in gear with my knee

Old 09-14-16, 09:46 AM
I would check for bent or worn linkage, if possible put it in gear, remove the linkage and see if it will go further into gear if it does maybe there is an adjustment on the linkage to put it further into gear. Have a good one. Geo

Old 09-14-16, 09:53 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Not sure how the Jacobson works but on my NAA there isn't any linkage. The shifter is on top of the transmission and goes directly into it. I don't remember if there is any adjustments if you pull the top cover off. With my limited experience you either put it back on correctly or it wouldn't change gears.

Old 09-14-16, 11:13 AM
Mine is also without linkage, but I will look closely to see if there is any kind of adjustment.

Otherwise, I can fabricate something to hold the shift lever in place. I do use reverse often, the areas I mow are obstacle courses with terrain...