Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Craftsman lawn tractor problems, 16 hp B&S engine

IN

09-14-16, 09:52 AM   #1  
Craftsman lawn tractor problems, 16 hp B&S engine

The problem is the tractor will run for about 30 min. then it will start missing out and then die. I will let it cool, then it runs again for a short time, then starts missing out again and dies. I've changed the plug and fuel filter, air cleaner, and I cleaned gas cap hole. Also cleaned and set coil. Does any one have any suggestions on what to do now?
Thanks! dshearer

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NC

09-14-16, 09:58 AM   #2  
Try loosening or removing the gas cap and see if the problem continues. Also, the next time it dies immediately check for spark while the engine is still hot. If it wasn't the fuel cap and you still have spark when it dies then I'd check the valve adjustment.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-14-16, 04:37 PM   #3  
If nothing is found when checking the above, check fuel flow into the carburetor bowl. You may have a clogged line or carb inlet, this is a common symptom of it.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

CT

09-15-16, 04:30 AM   #4  
A vapor lock can be created in the gas line if it is in close proximity of a heat source and cause the engine to stop because the vapor lock stops the flow of gas. The eventual cooling of the gas line allows the vapor lock to exit and the engine will run fine again until a new vapor lock is created. If you think this may be your problem, try the following. When the engine stops. immediately remove the gas line at the inlet of the carb. Use a container to catch the gas. With gas flowing out the gas line, reconnect to the carb. If the engine restarts, you have removed the vapor lock. The remedy is to reroute the gas line, keeping it away from sources of heat. Good luck.

IN

09-15-16, 10:00 AM   #5  
Thanks! I will try this and see if it is the problem.

IN

09-18-16, 12:15 PM   #6  
16 hp B&S engine

I tried what beelzebob told me to do if it was a vapor lock. It must have worked! It runs ok so far. But I still have a problem, because there is no where to rerun the gas line. Do you have any other suggestions?
thanks! dshearer

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

09-18-16, 01:09 PM   #7  
If you would post the model # it would be easier to discern.
Vapor lock is a possibility however, not likely IMO. I would lean more towards what cheese mentioned, perhaps a fuel line deteriorated and collapsing....

Without knowing if you have a fuel pump or not, it could also be vacuum line to the fuel pump, or failing pump....

I would also not rule out a failing coil at this point.

Just needs a bigger hammer
Peace

IN

09-19-16, 06:37 AM   #8  
The model # is 283H07 type-0339-E1. This engine has no fuel pump. When it started missing out again, I undid the fuel line to the carb and let the fuel start running out , then reconnected the line and restarted the engine. It ran good for a little while, then started missing out again. I also checked the spark, it was fine.

IA

09-19-16, 08:42 AM   #9  
Right when it dies, if you still have a good fuel flow from the line at the carb and no fuel pump, I would lean towards a bad coil. Disconnect the kill wire from the coil and see if it does the same thing. If so I would replace the coil.

IN

10-08-16, 04:28 PM   #10  
Well guy's I put in a new coil and that is not the problem! I put new fuel lines on, cleaned the carb and it still starts running rough after a little while, but it doesn' t
die. I let it run for a few minutes and it runs alright. Then it starts all over again!
Does anyone have any other ideas? Please! Help!:

IA

10-08-16, 06:21 PM   #11  
It's still does it with the new coil with the kill wire disconnected?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-08-16, 10:52 PM   #12  
Did you ever check fuel flow into the bowl through the inlet needle?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

IN

10-10-16, 10:37 AM   #13  
No I didn't, but I was checking the fuel flow when it started running rough again and I noticed that the fuel in the filter was almost completly gone. But I had put a new filter on when this problem started.

IA

10-10-16, 11:28 AM   #14  
That's an indication you may have a blockage before the filter. Disconnect the line from the filter and let the fuel flow from the tank fill a quart jar. See how the flow does.

Search this Thread