Craftsman lawn tractor problems, 16 hp B&S engine

Old 09-14-16, 09:52 AM
Craftsman lawn tractor problems, 16 hp B&S engine

The problem is the tractor will run for about 30 min. then it will start missing out and then die. I will let it cool, then it runs again for a short time, then starts missing out again and dies. I've changed the plug and fuel filter, air cleaner, and I cleaned gas cap hole. Also cleaned and set coil. Does any one have any suggestions on what to do now?
Thanks! dshearer

Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-16, 09:58 AM
Group Moderator
Try loosening or removing the gas cap and see if the problem continues. Also, the next time it dies immediately check for spark while the engine is still hot. If it wasn't the fuel cap and you still have spark when it dies then I'd check the valve adjustment.

Old 09-14-16, 04:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If nothing is found when checking the above, check fuel flow into the carburetor bowl. You may have a clogged line or carb inlet, this is a common symptom of it.

Old 09-15-16, 04:30 AM
A vapor lock can be created in the gas line if it is in close proximity of a heat source and cause the engine to stop because the vapor lock stops the flow of gas. The eventual cooling of the gas line allows the vapor lock to exit and the engine will run fine again until a new vapor lock is created. If you think this may be your problem, try the following. When the engine stops. immediately remove the gas line at the inlet of the carb. Use a container to catch the gas. With gas flowing out the gas line, reconnect to the carb. If the engine restarts, you have removed the vapor lock. The remedy is to reroute the gas line, keeping it away from sources of heat. Good luck.

Old 09-15-16, 10:00 AM
Thanks! I will try this and see if it is the problem.

Old 09-18-16, 12:15 PM
16 hp B&S engine

I tried what beelzebob told me to do if it was a vapor lock. It must have worked! It runs ok so far. But I still have a problem, because there is no where to rerun the gas line. Do you have any other suggestions?
thanks! dshearer

Old 09-18-16, 01:09 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If you would post the model # it would be easier to discern.
Vapor lock is a possibility however, not likely IMO. I would lean more towards what cheese mentioned, perhaps a fuel line deteriorated and collapsing....

Without knowing if you have a fuel pump or not, it could also be vacuum line to the fuel pump, or failing pump....

I would also not rule out a failing coil at this point.

Old 09-19-16, 06:37 AM
The model # is 283H07 type-0339-E1. This engine has no fuel pump. When it started missing out again, I undid the fuel line to the carb and let the fuel start running out , then reconnected the line and restarted the engine. It ran good for a little while, then started missing out again. I also checked the spark, it was fine.

Old 09-19-16, 08:42 AM
Right when it dies, if you still have a good fuel flow from the line at the carb and no fuel pump, I would lean towards a bad coil. Disconnect the kill wire from the coil and see if it does the same thing. If so I would replace the coil.

Old 10-08-16, 04:28 PM
Well guy's I put in a new coil and that is not the problem! I put new fuel lines on, cleaned the carb and it still starts running rough after a little while, but it doesn' t
die. I let it run for a few minutes and it runs alright. Then it starts all over again!
Does anyone have any other ideas? Please! Help!:

Old 10-08-16, 06:21 PM
It's still does it with the new coil with the kill wire disconnected?

Old 10-08-16, 10:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Did you ever check fuel flow into the bowl through the inlet needle?

Old 10-10-16, 10:37 AM
No I didn't, but I was checking the fuel flow when it started running rough again and I noticed that the fuel in the filter was almost completly gone. But I had put a new filter on when this problem started.

Old 10-10-16, 11:28 AM
That's an indication you may have a blockage before the filter. Disconnect the line from the filter and let the fuel flow from the tank fill a quart jar. See how the flow does.

Old 05-26-18, 10:29 AM
Still having problems with mower!

I'm still having problem with my riding mower. I've have noticed when the mower starts missing out, I move the choke on a little it starts running better, but after a little
while it will start running rough again. I also noticed the governor moving back and forth. Can anyone help me with this problem ?

Old 05-26-18, 11:12 AM
Originally Posted by dshearer
". . . I've have noticed when the mower starts missing out, I move the choke on a little it starts running better . . ."
When you do that, you're altering the basic air-to-fuel ratio, by reducing the amount of air so that it corresponds to what must be a restricted amount of fuel getting to/through the carburetor for proper combustion.

Old 05-26-18, 01:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The problem has been identified. You're going to have to find and repair the fuel restriction. Usually I find it is a fuel line that has collapsed internally.

Old 05-27-18, 10:57 AM
I don't believe I read the part about you trying the idea of loosening the gas tank cap, as another poster suggested, to see if it is a venting problem. All your symptoms would be commensurate with that problem as well and it is an easy test.

If so, it is a clog in the little hole on the cap. Happens regularly so give it a check before you go to a lot of other trouble.

Old 06-01-18, 03:14 PM
Well guys, I've checked the gas cap and it's ok. I replaced the fuel line and fuel filter. I started the mower again and after a few minutes it started missing again! Could the problem be in the breather tube to the engine?

Old 06-01-18, 07:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Did you ever check the flow of fuel into the carburetor bowl? Visually check the flow.

Old 06-09-18, 06:38 PM
I just checked the flow to the bowl and the float seemed not to open all the way. It was just barely coming out. I took the float out and sprayed it and all of the inside of the bowl. replaced the float and tried the flow again and it still ran slow! any suggestions ? Thanks!

Old 06-09-18, 08:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Take the needle out and using an air compressor and high pressure air or a can of carbutetor cleaner and the straw, blow through it backwards.

Old 06-10-18, 02:04 PM
I tried what you said and the gas runs a little better I think, but it seems that it still not enough to keep the bowl filled. If I pull down on the float it runs good and it shuts off good, but when I let go of the float, it just runs slow again. Help!

Old 06-11-18, 12:01 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Might need to change the needle. I've seen the rubber tip swell from the use of ethanol fuel.