Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Can't tighten chain on Homelite 240 saw

OH

09-25-16, 09:45 AM   #1  
Can't tighten chain on Homelite 240 saw

I don't know how, but I lost my adjustment screw to tighten the chain, I got a replacement, but it is not tightening the chain. I haven't used it much so the chain should still be good. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong when assembling it?

I saw a youtube video on how to do it, but it doesn't appear to be hooking up with the adjusting block. Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

09-25-16, 09:49 AM   #2  
Not sure if it is definitive, but that block should be way further back toward those two holes than it is in order to engage the chain holes. If not, then your chain is too long.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

09-25-16, 10:08 AM   #3  
There is a little hole in the bar that the tab on the block connects into.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Group Moderator

NE

09-25-16, 10:28 AM   #4  
Is the sprocket worn out?

TN

09-25-16, 10:54 AM   #5  
Screw

The screw in the photo shows the block all the way toward the front of the saw. Loosen the screw so that the block is all the way toward the back of the saw. Install the bar and chain, making sure that the block engages the hole in the bar. Tighten the screw until the chain has the correct tension. Hope this helps.

OH

10-01-16, 11:18 AM   #6  
Well alrighty then ... I backed off the block and it finally snapped into the notch. Now I have a new problem ... when I was trying to start it the cord stopped recoiling. When I took it apart it recoiled, but I don't see why it would not when the cover was on. I have not put the cover back on yet. I haven't had a chance to look at it again.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

10-01-16, 11:34 AM   #7  
The shoulder screw that holds the starting mechanism to the flywheel may be too tight. Don't loosen it too much, maybe 1 click to see if that frees it up. If you take it all the way out without caution, you will encounter the wrath of the spring monster.

OH

10-04-16, 10:22 AM   #8  
Didn't see it

I don't see any screw that I could adjust ... perhaps you could point it out to me. When ever I put the cover back on an pull the cord it won't retract.

When I loosen the cover it will retract.

Attached Images

Group Moderator

NE

10-04-16, 02:12 PM   #9  
Put the cover on, but before you put any screws in, give the cord a short tug to make sure you have it aligned correctly. If you keep one hand on the cover over the trademark, you may notice the cover settle down just a bit as you tug the cord slightly. Then put the screws in.

OH

10-04-16, 02:40 PM   #10  
It didn't work

I did as you said ... I kept giving the cord short tugs but it would not retract. I could see the part inside the saw turning. If I keep tugging on the cord after a time it will recoil all the way. When I try again ... same thing cord won't retract. I have to keep tugging until it does, but I can't get it to start.:NO NO NO: Does something need to be replace to get it to work again?

Group Moderator

NE

10-04-16, 03:10 PM   #11  
Sometimes the spring will get gunked up and want to bind/stick. I would turn the cover over so that you can see the bottom of the cord winding.... and spray the heck out of it with wd-40 or similar. Hold it on its side as you spray so that it might rinse out any debris inside. Pull the cord multiple times and keep spraying until it seems to operate freely. If that doesn't help, it could be that the spring is just getting weak. Give it a shot.

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

10-04-16, 03:14 PM   #12  
I wouldn't spray it, even if it does start working, it won't last long and will need replace or disassembled to clean, which might be the case already.

Just needs a bigger hammer
Peace

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-04-16, 03:53 PM   #13  
^ I agree. It needs to be taken apart and cleaned. I've seen some that the plastic had distorted enough to keep it from turning well. In those cases, replacement is usually the best route.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

OH

10-04-16, 05:52 PM   #14  
I'll Check It Out

I'll see if I can find some info on how to disassemble it. If anyone know where I can find it please post a link. Thanks

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-04-16, 09:28 PM   #15  
Pull the rope a bit and get it out of the pull handle, cut the knot off and melt the end to keep it from fraying, pull the handle off and then let the spring wind the rope up inside as much as it will. Help it if needed until all spring tension is gone. Then take the screw out of the center and lift up on the white spool piece gently, making sure to leave the spring in the housing and not pull it up with the spool. When you get it out, you can view the parts and see if it needs cleaning or what.

God bless!

OH

10-05-16, 12:54 PM   #16  
Problem Solved :)

Wellsir ... I found a solution in this video . It was really simple to fix. The coil spring needed to be tighten. Works fine again.

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

10-05-16, 03:56 PM   #17  
I am wagering it is only a temporary fix in your case, hopefully not but I would guess the slot or tab on the spring, spool or housing is damaged and it will come loose again....

Just needs a bigger hammer
Peace

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-05-16, 09:43 PM   #18  
Agreed.

God bless!

OH

10-06-16, 12:49 PM   #19  
Don't Use It That Much

Wellsir ... the chainsaw doesn't see a lot of action ... if it does come loose again ... I will use the same method to tighten it so I will be able to start it. . If I must ... I will replace the spring. Thanks for all the help

Search this Thread