Craftsman 21" Mower

Old 10-04-16, 08:04 AM
Craftsman 21" Mower

Hi all, I have a Craftsman 21" mower with Engine model #126T02-0795-B1 that is acting weird. At times I go to start it and the engine pops or I guess you can call it a backfire. It will usually start on the very next attempt. Other times, I go to shut it off and it keeps running for a few seconds; I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-16, 08:49 AM
Did you hit something recently? Does the rope jerk back sometimes when you try to start it? If either of these happen you probably have a partially sheared flywheel key making the ignition timing off a little. If you decide to remove the flywheel to replace the key remove the spark plug turn the piston to the bottom of the stroke, load the cylinder with small rope like starter rope,leave a little hanging out for removal later. When you turn the flywheel nut to remove or replace the engine will try to compress the rope which will lock the engine and nothing gets broke. Have a good one. Geo

Old 10-04-16, 03:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It sounds to me like your zone cable is rusted or stuck. It's the cable that goes from the deadman bar to the shutoff switch on the engine. If it doesn't pull all the way, it can backfire or not start, randomly shut off, and not shut off immediately when the handle is released.