Toro Personal Pace recycler mower

Old 10-04-16, 06:21 PM
Toro Personal Pace recycler mower

I have a Toro 20067 Recycler Personal Pace rear drive mower. Halfway through doing the lawn, the personal pace quit. It had been acting finicky, I have had to adjust the cable tension, so I should have seen this coming.

I immediately thought V-belt or drive cable so I tipped the mower on its side. The V-belt did have a couple of slits in it, but it still looked workable. What I did notice is that is was incredibly slack. Next I looked at the drive cable, adjusted it to the tautness that I felt it should be at, then looked underneath and watched while another pushed the personal pace bar on the handle. I could see that the drive cable moved correctly pulling the spring and the bracket to rotate the transmission. So I don't think the problem is the drive cable of the V-belt, although the latter probably should be replaced.

What was very noticeable along with the slackness of the belt was that the pulley on top of the transmission rocks back and forth from its axis coming out of the transmission at a right angle to the drive shaft.

So, what I am looking for here is confirmation that the transmission pulley is just supposed to spin on one axis in line wit the pulley under the motor and not wobble off its axis (I can actually put my hand on the pulley and rotate it probably 30 degrees forwards and backwards.

Looks like this probably means the transmission is shot. Currently these are not even available on the Toro website.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-16, 09:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Is the pulley moving, or is it the entire shaft with the pulley attached to it? If it's the pulley, it may have stripped inside and worn out... to be fixed by replacing it. If it's the entire shaft, you have transmission problems.

Old 10-05-16, 04:41 AM
Thanks. It does seem to be the entire pulley shaft that is flopping and I would agree the transmission looks to be shot.

At this point, since replacements are out of stock and because of the cost, I am considering ripping out the transmission and stripping the mower down for weight so that it could be used as a push mower.

Old 10-05-16, 06:39 AM
Yup. Just went out and checked it again. The entire pulley with shaft wobbles over an inch off center in each direction. I have looked at a lot of the videos and believe the transmission to be toast. I recall inadvertently mowing over a large mass of black mushrooms with the mower clogging. Seems to me that the belt should have broken if anything, but it looks like the transmission input shaft took the fall.

Old 10-05-16, 10:49 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The bearings probably fell out and into the gearcase. I doubt any one particular thing caused it, it's just a product of time and wear. Check ebay for good used transmissions.

Old 10-05-16, 11:42 AM
Thanks again, Cheese.

With $50-$70 for the transmission, new V-belt and perhaps new pulleys, rear wheels and gears, $399 for an all new unit sounds like a better investment. Then I could dumb down the personal pace unit to a push mower and use it for leaf cleanup. If I can lighten it us by dropping the tranny and some extraneous parts, it would be more maneuverable. I used to have a push Super Recycler with the aluminum deck and I will admit it was much lighter.

Old 10-05-16, 11:46 AM
More than anything, I cannot get over how this personal pace works. Basically the drive cable just tightens the belt around the drive pulleys and the amount of tightening determines the speed. Maybe I should look at a standard speed mower next time.

Old 10-05-16, 03:30 PM
I was able to get the wheels off and the axle/wheel conical gears. Still there are some washers outbound of the brackets that are still holding the axle and preventing me from sliding it through and removing it. Is there a trick to removing these last washers before the brackets?

On another note, why did they build in so much lateral wheel play? Perhaps some components have worn inordinately to cause this? It's not play, but really a rather large wobble to both rear wheels.

Old 10-05-16, 03:46 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If the washers are actually push nuts,(teeth or tabs on the inside diameter) they can be removed without destroying them but usually they will need to be replaced. You can get them at any auto parts or hardware store.
The wheel hubs are only plastic while the axle is metal. While the plastic does provide the lubrication to act as a bearing, they also wear which is likely the cause of the wobble.

Old 10-06-16, 05:57 PM
I finally was able to drop the transmission. The top pulley, pinion and conical gear fell right off the top of the transmission. I assume the bearing is somewhere down inside the transmission cavity.

Just saw a decent deal on a new Recycler, but this one has all wheel drive. What do people think of that concept? Course now that means 2 belts and 2 transmissions. thx.

Old 10-06-16, 07:23 PM
If you are going to look at that, I would suggest comparing the Husqvarna version with the Honda engine.

Old 10-06-16, 07:44 PM
The Husqvarna version I see has a Briggs and Stratton. Guess I am more interested in the value of AWD in a lawnmower?

$299 for the floor model 20353 at my local HD may be hard to pass up. Although I really just wanted to replace what I had

Old 10-06-16, 07:46 PM
Old 10-06-16, 08:02 PM
If you would really like my personal comparison I can give you the long version. Short is, those briggs engines have an entirely plastic carburetor. Plastic and o-rings mean that if any carb issue, the only sure repair is replacement.

While the Honda carb is a PIA to work on, it can be worked on and the engines are the most reliable in the market. The only Honda engines on these I see usually only come in for a broken cable on the dead man bail, the owner tipped the mower and filled the air filter with oil and gas, and a few with the choke sticking.
The briggs carb we now keep in stock.

JMO guess that is why I manage the shop and not the sales floor

Old 10-06-16, 08:02 PM
O.K. thanks. I was looking at Lowes. Doesn't appeal to me as much as the Toro. I have had 2. Before this one with the shot transmission I had a push Super Recycler. Nice alloy deck.

Old 10-06-16, 08:11 PM
Doesn't appeal to me as much as the Toro.
Ok NP, I will let cheese chime in on MTD now

Old 10-06-16, 08:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Lol. I haven't seen it mentioned 'till now. It's no secret that I am... "not a fan" (to say it like a politician). I do agree that the honda and kawasaki engines are the most reliable ones found on walk behinds these days and the kawasaki isn't on many of them unfortunately.

I'm not impressed by the plastic briggs carburetors, but I've been able to fix them easily so far. The screws in them are like wood screws, so they are probably only good for so many disassemblies before they strip the holes out. Parts that should be removable are melted in place, so repairs are limited. Nothing is made to last anymore sadly. I think gone are the days of fixing up old mowers, restoring classics, etc... because none of this stuff will be around for long and what is here won't be serviceable because parts will be obsolete and used parts will be crumbled to dust. We price shopped ourselves into a world of junk.

Old 10-06-16, 09:13 PM
^

Generally can clean the jet still without removing the fuel transfer on the plastic carbs. The jet is at a 90 degree though so. Also the o-rings swell and are too big to fit back in place one separated are some issues I have seen. I can replace a carb in 10-15 mins, if I open one and reinstall it adds that much more time, to replace it for 25 bux and be done for min charge of 1/2 hour....
Even the instructions that come from briggs with the replacement parts state that if removed it must be replaced with new.

Had two Stihl chain saws MS180c....I think come in for tune up and chain sharpen...no adjustments on the carbs, what is there to tune up? New plug, clean the air filter and clean any debris?!?!?
Are our dumps full yet or what?

Old 10-06-16, 10:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Oh yeah, I forgot about those swollen o-rings. We can thank ethanol for that.

I find it funny when people buy their prius, sort and recycle all their trash, put led lights and cfls in every lamp, and do all sorts of things that are dubbed as environmentally friendly and then go buy a $70 weedeater that can't be adjusted, isn't made to be repaired, and in a few years they throw it in their recycle bin and buy another. They seem to be completely unaware of the pollution, strip mining, electricity, fuel used in shipping, packaging, natural resources used, etc... required to make that new throw-away trimmer. They could have bought a nicer unit that can last 20-30 years and stay out of the landfill or the smelter pot at the recycler, where another huge amount of air pollution occurrs. They would have enjoyed the better performance, balance, increased power, ease of use, and reliability all that time as well. But the one at walmart gets the nod almost every single time.

Way off topic, sorry, lol!

Old 10-07-16, 08:13 AM
IMO that Toro will outlast the Husqvarna by a lot. You have already pulled the xmsn so you know how to do it. You need to replace the following parts which are still available. Bearing under top cover, Spur gear, (2) Bronze bushing/bearings that fit between the xmsn cases, the bevel gear is probably OK and will not need to be changed. The bevel gear is a real PIA to get off the axle. Clean out the old grease and fill with new grease not oil. That xmsn will be like new. I have done several with very good results. Good luck to you.

Old 10-07-16, 08:01 PM
That could be one of my winter projects, as I salvaged all the parts. Right now, I am glad I was able to convert it to a serviceable push mower for dealing with the falling leaves.

In the meantime I bought the AWD unit because $299 was too good to pass up. At least I will have some parts overlap.