Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Craftsman rider - deck is too low

NJ

10-11-16, 06:18 AM   #1  
Craftsman rider - deck is too low

This is a Craftsman Rider made by MTD. Model 247-203700. It appears to be a rebranded Troybilt Pony / Model 700. The deck is way too low. Cutting grass at #3 deck height just scalps the lawn. I adjusted the front to raise it however stll too low. I moved the deck attachment to higher holes on the attachment brackets. There are a whole bunch of holes in the attachment brackets for other decks. I am going to try other higher holes. The customer said the deck just seemed to drop over time. Nothing seems to be really worn and attachment holes are not elongated. Would like help on this please.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-11-16, 11:22 AM   #2  
I've had this problem on a few of them. I think the flimsy bar that holds the back deck arms up bends when the deck gets stepped on or hits a root, etc... Sometimes the front bracket under the steering axle gets bent backwards as well. These are so flimsy I don't know how they are still in business. I "fixed" two last week with this problem by putting a pipe on the handle to raise the deck and putting it in the highest position, blocking the lever down at the frame so that it can't go down when you lower the deck, then bending the height lever down, so that it brings the deck up a bit in every notch. You have to be careful to not go too far though, or the lever won't raise it enough to get into the top notch. This is one of the many reasons for my disdain for MTD products.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

NJ

10-11-16, 04:55 PM   #3  
Thanks Cheese. Since there were multiple holes in the flat rear deck lift arms, I drilled the third one up from the bottom so that the round lift arms would fit. That raised it up enough that I think it is going to be ok. The customer will have to cut on #4 or #5. Another MTD piece of junk. Bring back AYP. BTW I hate Husqvarna mowers and riders almost as much as MTD. I dont think I can go any higher as the deck is barely locking in the transport position. Your solution is a real good one in my opinion.

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

10-11-16, 05:53 PM   #4  
BTW I hate Husqvarna mowers and riders almost as much as MTD.
Husqvarna and Craftsman riders, and AYP have been one in the same for nearly if not more than a decade now. Now Husqvarna is AYP/Electrolux, and is now the largest OPE manufacturer in the world. They do make some good equipment but much like any consumer or residential grade they are going to skimp to compete.

I have yet to see a newer Craftsman rider made by MTD so I have no insight.

Just needs a bigger hammer
Peace

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-11-16, 11:51 PM   #5  
Yep, AYP is Husquvarna. They have been together ever since husquvarna became a major name in riding mowers. There are AYP craftsmans still, but they are the better models. The cheap models are now made by MTD. The good Craftsmans made by AYP will start with the prefix 917 on the model number.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread