McCullough chainsaw new issue

Old 10-15-16, 11:44 AM
McCullough chainsaw new issue

Hello.......again,

A while back I posted a request for help with my McCullough chainsaw replacing fuel lines and primer bulb. So several responses directed me to the fuel filter, which had fallen into the tank and without it, apparently it won't run. I fished it out, soaked it and cleaned it and attached it and stuffed it back into the tank. An emergency took me away from it at that point so without really testing it, back on the shelf it went.

Now it's firewood time and I brought it out and followed the usual routine and this time I was able to get it to start and run for about 3 to 5 seconds then it dies. It didn;t start like the instructions show you on the cover (supposed to start at 1/2 choke, throttle lock pushed down and when it warms up, place throttle to run and off you go) But all four times I was able to start it, it was not on any choke and fired right up....then died after a few seconds.

I removed the cover and re screwed to carb down to see if there were any leaks while it ran and I saw none. Fuel lines and return line still connected (got fuel line set with 2 lines, one thin blue one and a thicker yellow one and have the thin one as my input from the tank into my primer bulb and the larger yellow one as the return line ) , and there seems to be no gas leaking,

ANY help at this point is appreciated so I do not have to rent a saw for my wood, thanks very much!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-16, 11:48 AM
#1, Should have just replaced the filter, not cleaned it.
All that work and you did not rebuild or replace the carb?
Trying to run old fuel through it?

Old 10-15-16, 01:17 PM
Well it was running great with no starting or running issues before I discovered the cracked primer bulb When I removed the cover, the fuel lines were brittle and cracked so it made sense to replace them. I am using fresh gas with the proper mixture, thanks.

Old 10-15-16, 02:43 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Sounds like you have the fuel lines connected improperly. The small line from the filter/tank should go to the carb, then another from the carb to the primer and then the return from the primer to the tank.