Toro Personal Pace mower Model 20073 will not back up

Old 10-16-16, 12:40 PM
Toro Personal Pace mower Model 20073 will not back up

Hello -

Have a strange problem with my mower. I was mowing about 2 weeks ago and my mower stopped moving in reverse. It will move forward just fine, but the back wheels both lock up whenever I try to pull it back towards me.

I checked under the mower and cleared a few (very small) pieces of broken twigs, but everything is clear. It rolls forward just fine, though.

Anyone have any ideas why this is happening?

Thank you!

Mike

Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-16, 12:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Take the wheels off and remove and clean the little keys on the shafts under the gears.

Old 10-17-16, 11:43 AM
Ok, I will. Thanks. Hope it's as simple as that.

Old 10-17-16, 05:24 PM
Got it working.

I took off both wheels and cleaned everything I could see. There wasn't much to clean, and there wasn't any obvious debris clogging up the wheels.

I turned it on its' side and checked to see if anything was wrong there...nothing.

Then I started it up and mowed for a bit, every once in a while trying to back it up. There was a faint high-pitched noise that came and went, and the engine smoked a bit when I started it up (which was unusual). I just kept running it and trying to back it up and it just suddenly started backing up again. I only ran it for a total of about 4 minutes, so a piece of yard debris must have been jammed in there.

(shrug) Thanks for the help!

Old 10-17-16, 07:11 PM
Anytime you tilt your mower always make sure the carb is up so oil and fuel doesn't contaminate the air filter. Have a good one. Geo

Old 10-19-16, 10:39 PM
I did, and I do. Thanks...

Old 10-21-16, 07:09 PM
I see you got it working and want to add this:

Did you clean/lube the woodruff keys and springs? It's not as simple as removing the wheels. You have to remove the ring clips in order to remove the pinion gears. As cheese mentioned, the woodruff key sits atop a small spring in the drive shaft. When I had this problem, I removed the key/spring, cleaned everything up and coated the key/spring with anti-seize compound.

Here's the rear axle diagram for your model mower.

On the diagram, the key is #15, the spring #14 and the ring clips #3

Old 10-21-16, 09:06 PM
No, I didn't clean anything. Honestly, I don't think I would be able to get it back together again if I did take it apart. Things are kind of busy now, and I'm just glad it's working again.

I will come back to this thread and do the maintenance when I get a few hours. Thanks for the information!

Mike

Old 11-06-16, 07:14 PM
Toro 20073 will not back up

I have rebuilt drive systems on 3 personal pace mowers now in my shed. IF you do decide to take them apart, remember that there are right hand and left hand keys and other parts. keep them organized. Also make sure that the height adjustment lever on either side (which puts tension on the drive shaft) in in a position where you can rotate it back up to the slots for the individual height adjustment choices after you put the gears all back together. If it is in the wrong position, you get to take things all apart again so you can (put the axle back in position)