Kohler Command CH20 head gasket replacement

Old 10-17-16, 01:15 PM
Kohler Command CH20 head gasket replacement

I have a 20+ year old Toro Proline mower with a CH20 Kohler Command, and one of the head gaskets is bad. Around 800 hours on the machine, and I probably should just replace it one of these days, but it does such a good job that I keep dragging my feet. Anyway, I replaced one of the head gaskets about 7 years ago, but the gaskets are not too expensive, and most of the work of course is getting the shrouds, manifolds, etc. out of the way, so intend to do both of them this time around. I have a buddy who works part time at a local mower shop in his retirement years, and he said that I/we should at least lap the valves while it's apart. I will obviously inspect the cylinders at that time, along with wiring, hoses, etc. that are otherwise near impossible to get to, and just wondering if there are any other maybe less obvious components that I should be looking at.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-16, 04:03 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Those are one of the good ole "real" Kohlers IMO. I have seen them on everything from steam rollers, welders to serious industrial ztr's.
Other than a good inspection and since you will have the valves out, maybe replace them and the guides.