Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Husky pressure washer pump rebuild

TX

10-23-16, 12:03 PM   #1  
Husky pressure washer pump rebuild

I have a Husky pressure washer I bought at Home Depot many years ago that recently is struggling to put up pressure. I've had it 6 or 7 years and up until now it has performed beautifully. The Honda GCV 190 engine starts easily every time and still runs great. I figure it's about time to rebuild the pump. Anyone know where I can get a kit for this pump?

TIA
TexasFire

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NJ

10-23-16, 12:10 PM   #2  
I have a similar basically no name unit with that Honda engine. I bought the better one with the Cat pump and it's been a great performer. My pump has an ID tag on it.

Does yours ?
If not... the model number of the pressure washer itself may be helpful.

~ Pete ~

CT

10-24-16, 06:57 PM   #4  
If your looking for parts, try Pressure Washer Parts and Accessories. I have used them for parts and a replacement pump for my Excell washer. Company is very helpful in answering questions and very reasonable on prices. My washer had a sealed water cooled pump which lasted only 3 years and I was able to replace it with a much better oil filled pump, on sale 4 years ago, for $60.00. Pump still works excellently today and is far better then the one that came with it. I could have bought the Excell brand, water cooled pump,for just over double what was paid for the serviceable oil filled one.

TX

10-24-16, 08:17 PM   #5  
Thanks for the info on parts places. I didn't see an info tag on the pump but will take a closer look in the next couple of days. This was a great pump that ran at least 5 years, maybe 6 or 7 so I'm hoping it can be rebuilt.
TexasFire

TX

11-24-16, 04:21 PM   #6  
OK, I was finally able to take the unit apart and did find a label (covered in grime) on one of the pump legs. I've done some searching and have found what appear to be generic replacements but not an exact one by number. The model number I have is a PWV(R)28/2.3. Below that is 308653008'
Can something be interpreted from this? Does 28 mean 2,800 PSI & does 2.3 mean 2.3 GPM?

TexasFire

TX

11-24-16, 04:51 PM   #7  
OK, I found a pump at one of the links from a previous comment (husky parts) and think I found the right pump but it doesn't have the exact same number. Ahhh.... I just noted that in the hyperlink I pasted in it is a replacement.

https://www.repairclinic.com/PartDet...008&ss=a25b339

TexasFire

TX

11-24-16, 05:02 PM   #8  
Here is one I found on Amazon that appears to be the same pump, but this one indicates that it is 3,100 PSI instead of 2,800 PSI. It also states that it is a Homelite replacement but I'm assuming they are all the same.

https://www.amazon.com/Homelite-3086...ords=308653035

TexasFire

TX

01-27-17, 08:36 PM   #9  
The new pump mounted right up & it works but.... it doesn't seem to be putting up as much pressure as the original one did. Is there a way to adjust the output pressure? I will try to take some pictures of the pump for reference.

TexasFire

FL

01-29-17, 03:31 AM   #10  
Hello TexasFire,

Unless you have a pressure gauge to put in line on the pump, it's best not to try adjusting pressure or pump damage could occur.

Try replacing the tip with a new one first, over time water enlarges the orfice and causes pressure loss. Match the tip to the gallon per minute rating of the pump, example; If the pump is 2.3 GPM you could go to a 2.0 or 2.5 tip, any larger will lower output pressure.

The first two digits stamped in a tip is the degree of spraying "fan", the last two digits are the GPM rating.

Good Luck,

Search this Thread