Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

TroyBilt XP 7000 generator battery start

NH

10-30-16, 06:48 PM   #1  
TroyBilt XP 7000 generator battery start

I have a TroyBilt XP 7000 generator that will not start with the battery start. It starts fine with the pull cord but when I push the battery start the starter just whirs and never tries to start the motor. It doesn't seem to be a charge issue as the starter responds, it just never catches. Any ideas what the problem might be?

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NJ

10-30-16, 07:17 PM   #2  
Welcome to the forums.

It appears the generator needs a starter. There is a solenoid inside of it that pushes the drive gear out to engage the flywheel. That solenoid looks to be defective.

I was not able to find the starter for that unit. TroyBilt is not particularly helpful with parts.
One good thing is that genny should be using a Briggs and Stratton engine making the starter easier to find.

~ Pete ~

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-30-16, 07:34 PM   #3  
Usually your problem is caused by either a low battery, a battery connected backwards, a stuck starter gear, or a broken starter gear. The gear is replaceable, just a few bucks. All easily remedied.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Group Moderator

NC

10-31-16, 09:14 AM   #4  
When in doubt check the battery. Even a almost dead battery has enough to make the starter turn. You can take the battery to any auto parts store and have them check it.

Search this Thread