Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Loosening Belt Guide to put belt on mower deck John Deere Scotts

OH

11-01-16, 07:41 AM   #1  
Loosening Belt Guide to put belt on mower deck John Deere Scotts

We have a John Deere Scotts riding mower. We paid someone a while ago to put a new belt on the mower deck. A month or so later, the blades stopped engaging and the belt was completely off. I've been able to get the belt back on except along one spindle. Can not figure out how to loosen the belt guide to give me enough space to get the belt back on. Loosening the sheaves on the spindle has proven impossible for me.

Here is a diagram. It is the smaller spindle. You can see the black belt guide to the left. is there a hidden screw somewhere?

Name:  mower deck.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  35.4 KB

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

11-01-16, 10:54 AM   #2  
You have to remove the pulley nut and lift up the pulley.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

OH

11-01-16, 02:53 PM   #3  
i was hoping that wasn't the only way. No hope on that. We've tried everything and that sucker isn't coming off! What a bummer. I got the whole thing done except that one area.

thanks for the reply.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

11-01-16, 04:26 PM   #4  
The nut can be pretty tough to break loose, but once it does it comes right off. Get a 6 point socket (can't remember if it's 14mm or 15mm but it is metric) and put it on a ratchet and use a piece of pipe for leverage if you have to.

God bless!

Forum Topic Moderator

NC

11-01-16, 05:07 PM   #5  
Put socket on a breaker bar and hit with a hammer. Usually will break nut loose.

Forum Topic Moderator

OH

11-01-16, 05:54 PM   #6  
Any chance it's a left hand thread?

Paul

Inside every small project is a big project waiting to slug you over the head and take all your money and time....

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

11-01-16, 05:56 PM   #7  
It might be a carriage bolt or hex head and need to be backed up on the head of the bolt. Make sure the bolt/stud is not turning) Should be a 9/16=14mm.

Just needs a bigger hammer
Peace

OH

11-01-16, 06:48 PM   #8  
the last two things we tried was the 6 point socket, ratchet and pipe and then hitting with hammer. I do not know what a left had thread is????

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

11-01-16, 10:44 PM   #9  
It's not left hand thread. These are notoriously very hard to break loose. Turn it counter-clockwise with enough force and it will go. Worst case scenario: bend the bar back far enough to work the belt out, put the new belt in, and bend it back. Not recommended though.

Be careful if you use a 9/16" in place of a 14mm when a lot of force is applied because a 9/16" is actually larger than 14mm. Even though it works in most cases, if there is extreme force involved, a 9/16" will round the corners of the nut or bolt before the 14mm will. Then it is REALLY hard to get off, lol!

God bless!

Search this Thread